Alternative ISP Providers in NYC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by uspcommuter, Jun 17, 2007.

1. uspcommuter macrumors regular

Hey y'all, I got accepted to a summer externship at Cornell medical center in NYC. Long story short, the apt I am staying at happens to have no internet connection. (My apt is located in Yorkville in the 90s streets) Since I am only staying there for 3.5 months, I would really not prefer to have the cable guy come in at a random hour when I am not there and then deal with it when I move out. So does anyone have any experience in ISP other than comcast/time warner/whoever takes care of manhattan?

My ideal set up would be something like a wireless ISP...is there a municipal one in manhattan? Well anyways, any help would be deeply appreciated...if there are other creative plans that allows me to intermittely connect to the internet...I am fine with that too (e.g. monthly membership to a internet cafe?)

Thanks much.
    Tony

2. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

With the hundreds of connections I find all the time in Manhattan I'm sure you could just piggy back.

3. uspcommuter thread starter macrumors regular

Tried that already... all of them are protected or I cant connect to them.

4. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Is there a Starbucks near you? You could subscribe to T-Mobile hotspot and use the hotspot there. If not you could pay for broadband national access with Verizon. If you don't have room for a PCI card, I believe they have a USB model.