Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allan53

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
New Hampshire
I am looking for a different mail app because Mail no longer has a select all button for easy batch delete.
Outlook is an example of what I like except for a few things. I can easily batch delete mail from all 3 accounts at one time by holding down on a message - selecting seelct all - and then trashing. I alos like the contacts and calendar being within the app.

The only 2 additional features I want that Outlook doesn't have are - using my own custom sounds for notification and being able to deactivate an account when I don't want to receive mail from it (instead of deleting it.)

Can anyone tell me of an app that will do all I wish? TIA

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm not quite certain which ones might necessarily satisfy all that you are looking for, but there are a host of different ones that are discussed in a more generic alternative thread at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/alternative-mail-apps.1949245/ that you could try checking out, at least perhaps until someone might have an idea of some specific one that does all that you are looking for.

sigeptendo

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2016
The crawlspace
Allan, I am in the same boat as you. I currently use Outlook for my work email, and Spark for my personal email. Neither one can "mute" individual email accounts and have been looking for one that can. I would also love to use my own custom tones too!

I have heard great things about Airmail, but am unsure if it has this functionality and is 4.99, so that's a bit of a gamble for me.

allan53

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
New Hampshire
Airmail lets you deactivate an account. It does not have custom sounds nor does it have the calendar and contacts built in.

ronincse

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
I just started using Notion (I'm always trying out new mail apps) and it's pretty awesome. For the first time in....ever....I am actually able to keep up with my e-mail. Also it works with imap accounts which is nice.

Outlook as also pretty good, it's what I was using prior to Notion

allan53

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
New Hampshire
I just tried Notion but it does not have the 3 things I am looking for - custom tones, ability to deactivate an account, built in calendar. So I deleted it.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I love to use Spark which also has calendar support. It has sound settings but not so advanced as you want I think. I'm not sure what you are looking for as far as contacts are concerned. It has access to your phone contacts if you allow it though. See also this wiki topic I created for a long list of e-mail apps. The major ones with a lot of features are Airmail and Spark.

I also liked Email by Easilydo which recently also added iPad support. However I did test it out again after a few months and it still lacks a feature major features (especially the search):

- search in e-mails older then 3 months (e.g. with Gmail) - must feature!
- show avatar icons (optional)
- calendar build in
- multi attach files in one go from e.g. Dropbox, Google Drive
- action list option (things to do)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.