Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Jan 26, 2009
One feature I would like to request is Badge App icon without Background app refresh. I like Spark design but prefer to keep Background app refresh off and so have to rely on other mail apps which seem to do that for new mail notification.

We are working on a big update, which will improve Badge, so hope you'll enjoy it :)

best regards,
Readdle Team

Reactions: 0970373

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
when will the update be available? is it the same as the beta app? when can we see a mac version?

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
I'm using the latest rev of Spark, it's stellar.

Fast easily customized and very reliable, I'm finding it handles the five accounts I use extremely well. The gestures it incorporates are logical and speed up usage significantly.

Reactions: Readdlemate

Readdlemate

Suspended
Jan 26, 2009
when will the update be available? is it the same as the beta app? when can we see a mac version?

It will be ready in a few weeks and first beta is available in Early Access.

Version for Mac is planned, but no we have no release date for beta yet.

best regards,
Readdle Team

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
It will be ready in a few weeks and first beta is available in Early Access.

Version for Mac is planned, but no we have no release date for beta yet.

best regards,
Readdle Team

I'm using the beta version and works pretty good as far as badge icon is concerned. It does still need background app refresh to work correctly though. 9/10 times it works fine. Although in the description of the beta it was said that it didn't need that anymore to show badge but that isn't (yet) the case. The iCloud/badge button switching off automatically is also fixed in this version.

It does still not sync all my iPhone settings within the Spark app to the iPad although I run both on the beta app and have both connected/synced with iCloud. The e-mail accounts were synced though.

My main wish for a future version is the option to show attachments above the message (like Outlook does).

OW22

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Does anyone else have issues with Outlook on iOS? I have an iPad Mini 4 and iPhone 6S and installed outlook on both devices today. I use two step verification for iCloud and generate app specific passwords. Outlook looks a very good mail client but every now and then it is telling me on both devices it has problems logging me in and I have to enter the app specific password again.

It also has a lot of issues with the iCloud calendar. Won't allow me to generate appointments and doesn't sync properly with the iCloud calendar.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Does anyone else have issues with Outlook on iOS? I have an iPad Mini 4 and iPhone 6S and installed outlook on both devices today. I use two step verification for iCloud and generate app specific passwords. Outlook looks a very good mail client but every now and then it is telling me on both devices it has problems logging me in and I have to enter the app specific password again.

It also has a lot of issues with the iCloud calendar. Won't allow me to generate appointments and doesn't sync properly with the iCloud calendar.

I have zero issues with Outlook on both my iPhone and iPad. I turned off dual auth and app auth so that may be an issue. I have it connected to my iCloud and Yahoo accounts.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ

I'm using two factor and have no issues with staying logged in on my phone, iPad or iMac with outlook. everytime i make a new app-specific password, i store it in notes and label it what its for. i use the same one for all logins for the same apps across all devices. this what your doing too? if not, use the same password.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Nice app but it I'm afraid I won't be changing my e-mail account(s) for now to @protonmail.com
That's fair, but one uses the protonmail.com/.ch identifier - it's not an "account" - solely as key to access the accounts linked to the protonmail.com/.ch identifier. One links accounts to the identifier, which is accessible via desktop and mobile clients just like the CloudMagic or Outlook iOS apps do - CloudMagic uses your first registered email account as your identifier, Protonmail uses a specifically-named domain for the same means of access...

OW22

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
I'm using two factor and have no issues with staying logged in on my phone, iPad or iMac with outlook. everytime i make a new app-specific password, i store it in notes and label it what its for. i use the same one for all logins for the same apps across all devices. this what your doing too? if not, use the same password.

I went into Apple ID and revoked both the different app passwords and I generated one new one and used it on both the iPad and iPhone and hey presto, it works fine now. Calendar is up and running with no issues and it hasn't asked me for log in details again. Really good app, have turned the iOS mail app off now in iCloud and the Gmail app I can delete as well.

I really like the way you can link Google Drive and Dropbox as well.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
That's fair, but one uses the protonmail.com/.ch identifier - it's not an "account" - solely as key to access the accounts linked to the protonmail.com/.ch identifier. One links accounts to the identifier, which is accessible via desktop and mobile clients just like the CloudMagic or Outlook iOS apps do - CloudMagic uses your first registered email account as your identifier, Protonmail uses a specifically-named domain for the same means of access...

I definitely need to look into it then more closely to see how it compares to all other iOS apps I've tested.

I really like the way you can link Google Drive and Dropbox as well.

I also like the option to attach files from the cloud e.g. Google Drive and Dropbox but that isn't unique is do you think the way it's presented besides attaching that works for you? I'm more a fan of Spark but that is mainly because of the UI and the excellent search (including archived e-mails) and that you can attach multiple files in one go from the cloud. Is it perfect? Nope the badge icon is still not ok but the latest beta has that resolved almost now. The major thing (among a few smaller things) that I miss with Spark is showing attachments above the message which Outlook does have.

Doesn't it bother you that Outlook lacks one major feature: search in archived e-mails older then 2/3 months?

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Could you elaborate further -- can I use gmail account with Proton mail app?

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Could you elaborate further -- can I use gmail account with Proton mail app?
Yes, and yes. One signs up for a protonmail "account", a unique username with the "@protonmail.com" domain, which is one's identifier - that's what you log in with, using a password. In that protonmail account, one adds email addresses (Gmail, iCloud, Outlook.com, unique domains) - their server polls your email accounts. You log in with your protonmail credentials via apps or via their webmail portal, and there are your emails. It's that simple. They offer 2048-bit security, notifications, additional features, depending on the plan you sign up for.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Anyone try MorningMail? They followed me on Twitter and I looked into it, saw they are another mail app. Went to their website and signed up for the beta. Had me added within minutes. I haven't logged in yet but wondering if anyone else heard of them or used them.

http://mrng.me

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Anyone try MorningMail? They followed me on Twitter and I looked into it, saw they are another mail app. Went to their website and signed up for the beta. Had me added within minutes. I haven't logged in yet but wondering if anyone else heard of them or used them.

http://mrng.me

It's new to me. I've also signed up for the beta to see if it offers some good features.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Jan 26, 2009
I'm using the beta version and works pretty good as far as badge icon is concerned. It does still need background app refresh to work correctly though. 9/10 times it works fine. Although in the description of the beta it was said that it didn't need that anymore to show badge but that isn't (yet) the case. The iCloud/badge button switching off automatically is also fixed in this version.

It does still not sync all my iPhone settings within the Spark app to the iPad although I run both on the beta app and have both connected/synced with iCloud. The e-mail accounts were synced though.

My main wish for a future version is the option to show attachments above the message (like Outlook does).

Beta is beta, so it's not perfect:) Our developers are trying to improve notifications, but it depends on email service, Internet connection ets, ets...so we need to create something that will work perfectly for all and we are on the way to this goal;)

If you can't sync Settings correctly in beta - please contact Early Access team at insight@readdle.com. The team will be able to take a closer look at this issue.

best regards,
Readdle Team

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Beta is beta, so it's not perfect:) Our developers are trying to improve notifications, but it depends on email service, Internet connection ets, ets...so we need to create something that will work perfectly for all and we are on the way to this goal;)

If you can't sync Settings correctly in beta - please contact Early Access team at insight@readdle.com. The team will be able to take a closer look at this issue.

best regards,
Readdle Team

I understand it's a beta so could still be buggy. But I can say it is much better already then the current version in the App Store as far as badge icon is concerned. Althought I did notice recent odd badge numbers with my iPad mini2 and the beta which I'm not seeing with my iPhone 5s. Both ran iOS9.2.1 and now run 9.3 and this odd thing remains. I see 2 new e-mails on iPhone and open these but at the same time see 21 on my iPad. I have both set for new e-mails (not conversations). It seems as if the iPad is counting the e-mails in the conversations not the new ones. As soon as I open up the iPad Spark beta app the badge icon goes away (when I opened these 2 new e-mails on my iPhone earlier). It does seem this changed a week or so ago with one of those updates of the beta. It has been working fine in an earlier beta release.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Jan 26, 2009
I understand it's a beta so could still be buggy. But I can say it is much better already then the current version in the App Store as far as badge icon is concerned. Althought I did notice recent odd badge numbers with my iPad mini2 and the beta which I'm not seeing with my iPhone 5s. Both ran iOS9.2.1 and now run 9.3 and this odd thing remains. I see 2 new e-mails on iPhone and open these but at the same time see 21 on my iPad. I have both set for new e-mails (not conversations). It seems as if the iPad is counting the e-mails in the conversations not the new ones. As soon as I open up the iPad Spark beta app the badge icon goes away (when I opened these 2 new e-mails on my iPhone earlier). It does seem this changed a week or so ago with one of those updates of the beta. It has been working fine in an earlier beta release.

Do you use the same email accounts on both devices? They both are connected to the same network (wi-fi/3g)? Can you please check Settings in Spark > Badges > Count for tab on iPad and iPhone?

best regards,
Readdle Team

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Do you use the same email accounts on both devices? They both are connected to the same network (wi-fi/3g)? Can you please check Settings in Spark > Badges > Count for tab on iPad and iPhone?

best regards,
Readdle Team

Yes I'm using the same e-mail account in both devices. They are both connected via WIFI. Both have settings in Spark (show badges for both e-mail account + show only for new e-mails) + Apple Settings app (show badges). A few betas back this was in sync but since the last few beta releases (also the one from yesterday or the day before) the iPad isn't showing the correct number. Turning off/on the iPad mini2 running the same iOS version (9.3) as my iPhone 5s also doesn't resolve it.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Jan 26, 2009
Yes I'm using the same e-mail account in both devices. They are both connected via WIFI. Both have settings in Spark (show badges for both e-mail account + show only for new e-mails) + Apple Settings app (show badges). A few betas back this was in sync but since the last few beta releases (also the one from yesterday or the day before) the iPad isn't showing the correct number. Turning off/on the iPad mini2 running the same iOS version (9.3) as my iPhone 5s also doesn't resolve it.

That's odd:(

Would you please contact Early Access team at insight@readdle.com? We need to take a closer look on this issue.

Thank you in advance.

best regards,
Readdle Team

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
With no unread emails on my Mac, Spark on my iPad Air2 kept showing 1 unread.
I don't use Spark on my iPhone that much, but of course I wanted to check it's counter. Spark immediately warned me of an update. After installing it, both my devices jumped to a zero counter - as should.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.