Alternative Member Ranking System

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by willmtaylor, Aug 31, 2012.

1. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Obviously there are ranks according to sheer number of posts on MR, but what if, instead of simply basing rank on number, rank was either/also based on "helpfulness/thoughtfulness" votes?

Perhaps this could be a secondary/alternative ranking system or simply incorporated into the current one.

Just a thought as there are so many helpful people who are willing to go above & beyond, and conversely there are people who just leech to stir up controversy. I'm not proposing a downvote or anything of the like, however; just a way to recognize/reward those who routinely assist others.

Just a thought,
    WMT

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

How would we measure/record someones "Helpfulness"?

3. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Perhaps a similar way to the upvote, but it would be tallied, so as one gets helpful/insightful votes, their rank/status would increase; thus (hopefully) encouraging more helpful responses. :confused:

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

A "reputation" system has been proposed several times here on MR, but has never gained much traction

5. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That's a shame, as I think those who genuinely seek to improve the forum ought to be recognized, while so many posts don't really add much to the discussion. As someone who routinely seeks out advice on the forums, it would also be an easier way to recognize who is giving more legit advice (in the eyes of others, of course) and who is not.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

With so much noise on this site now the best solution would be to start a spin off site that justs provides help.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is a very subjective measurement and creates a lot of opportunity for abuse (as seen in the up vote/down vote scenarios)

Unfortunately, one man's champion is another man's troll and it becomes a meaningless popularity contest between factions

There isn't a consensus on the board about anything, operating systems, phone screen sizes, matte or glossy, etc. so there would certainly not be any valuable consensus on who is helpful and who is not

*This is my opinion only and not an official stance of MR

8. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I think this actually happens, just in a more organic way. I'm guessing that if you followed a specific forum for a while, reading threads, you'd start to notice which members often give good advice.

I know I developed a feeling for which members I felt were contributing the most useful info during my first year or so.

9. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I completely agree, I just thought it could be a faster and more efficient way of seeing whether there was (at least the distinct possibility of) merit to someone's advice, than searching through their entire post history.

Oh well.