Alternative Names for iMovie '08

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GorillaPaws, Aug 14, 2007.

1. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

I was thinking iMovie '01 v2.0 or possibly iMovie 2 HD. It might be fun to see a satirical "heads-up" feature comparison between iMovie '08 and the first or second version of iMovie from many years back. With so much usability now gone, the extended development time, and the buggy release, I'm pretty upset at what Apple's putting out. If they release the '09 version next year and only return the features they've left out this year that should have been included (such as basics like slow/fast motion) I'm going to buy a Dell (ok I'm not that crazy--but I will be furious). Don't be so stingy Steve, hire a few more developers to replace the ones you've pulled off of iLife to work on the iPhone.

Another serious problem with this year's release is it's emphasis on organization at the expense of usability. Look at the "View" menu; it's packed full of stupid event-based stuff. Also, why do we have an entire menu dedicated to "text"? Couldn't this be handled with an inspector-like widget or in some sort of context based field for when you're creating titles/subtitles/credits etc? It almost seems like fluff to pad the particularly spartan menu choices. Here's a thought Apple: How about "Video" and "Audio" menus--this is movie editing program after all, isn't it? A solid "D" effort Apple.

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I actually like it just as much as iMovie HD. The timeline thing isn't exactly what people think. It's not like "clips view" in previous iMovies where you can't trim anything or have any sense of duration. Its more like a clever combination of clips and timeline view IMHO.

Picture 3.jpg

The only thing I really miss is video effects.

3. GorillaPaws thread starter macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

I think the biggest problem for me, is that the redesign is trying to solve a problem that didn't really exist. The problem it solves for Apple is "how do we keep updating iMovie without cutting into Final Cut sales?"

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

if you're looking for alternative names, ive heard imovie 08 referred to as iTube

5. kolax macrumors G3

Am I the only person who hates the feature where you move the mouse over the video and it shows you the preview?

It is a great addition to iPhoto, and .Mac's web gallery, but it really really slows down the fast production of iMovie 08.

I do use that feature in iMovie, don't get me wrong, but it isn't smooth. It is stuttery and sluggish when I come to select what trims I want from a clip.

Holding down CTRL or something would be better so I can have the choice of using it or not.