Alternative notebook manufacturers with better Quality control

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Samtb, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Samtb macrumors 65816

Are there any alternative non apple notebook manufacturers that have better quality control than apple or are they all just as bad?

2. raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

Apple is the best by a wide margin if you ask me.. Almost every PC I've even gotten in the past has had my # 1 OCD - no can do issue and that's screen bleed.. I've never had a Mac with screen bleed yet..

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Apple have the best quality control and aftercare sales of any OEM. Half the people here swapping laptops out because they make an odd noise when shaking them like a tree would be told exactly where to go if they mentioned the same 'issue' to HP support.

Lenovo don't even cover dead pixels on a brand-new machine, as one example. Any others with hardware/manufacturing failures (even if the problems are documented) won't have anywhere near the legacy support, because the machines aren't standardised and they're not as much in the limelight as Apple, so they haven't any moral obligation or reputation to uphold.

They only care about getting a sale. They throw so many different products onto a wall and see what sticks. After they've got your money, you're SOL.

The Fujitsu UH572s had problems with the SSD cache failing, meaning the system wouldn't boot or would be horrendously slow. The cost for a replacement mainboard after the 1 year warranty exceeded the value of the machine. The Fujitsu A512s have documented failures with LCD. No repair program there.

Toshibs C660-2F7 (F00KEN I think it was, apt name) had massive problems with component failure on the mainboard. Widespread but no repair program. The list goes on and on.

TL;DR: even if you get a machine that's inherently faulty, you won't get anywhere close to the support that you do with Apple.

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

None really stand out as being definitively better; Apple has a significant advantage with it physical presence in the market with numerous stores globally. Same as all Apple all so it`s up`s & down`s with reliability, quality control etc. Apple will stand by it`s product, equally if Apple deems it a non issue you can very well be out in the "cold" and out of pocket, until Apple is forced by a court of law to remedy - MBP + dGPU long story for one.

Personally I am more & more impressed by Microsoft my own Surface Book is flawless and easily matches Apple. So far I have never had need to return a Mac or a Windows OEM notebook. So in general you get what you pay for, what I do observe is that the newer Mac`s tend to fair less well over time with wear & tear; ports become loose, keyboards wear & polish, displays are more prone to marking, equally I can only compare the Mac`s I still own or are still in the family.

Q-6

6. Drecca macrumors regular

Right now, I'd put Microsoft up there with Apple in terms of QA and warranty. The only problem is that MS do not have stores everywhere yet, but they are getting there. I would not bother with other Windows OEM's.

The Microsoft warranty is just as good as Apple's. They basically copied it, and added on accident coverage. For my Surface Book, i can take a hammer to it, pay $49 CAD and I'd get a new or refurbished model. They are going above Apple's model.

The Surface Book is also well built. It's a cool piece of tech. I don't use the touch screen that often, but when I need to, it gets the job done. Really long battery life is great for someone like me who travels every week.

I had the 2016 15 MBP. Brought it back. I still have my 2013 if I want to remain on the Apple ecosystem, but right now I have no compelling reason.

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Not sure if applies to all; when I bought my Surface Book (November 2016), once registered with Microsoft it has a 2 year international warranty, which betters Apple`s 12 months. Microsoft also has an extended service plan which also covers accidental damage, something very much lacking in Apple Care. So I would very much agreed that Microsoft is equalling Apple and in some instances exceeding Apple.

Q-6

8. evec macrumors regular

All bad today, and Apple is best on the bad.
    After initial hungry period (few month after launch of first design), Apple product will become more stable because they initial design the product more stable (for example, design of voltage convent with more capacitor for buffering).

The Microsoft will exchange for you, but they have poor electronic design terms and not enough reliability.

However, Intel CPU started on Skylake have been designed for cost down that Haswell or broadwell, and this have more problem.

9. David58117 macrumors 65816

Just Microsoft as of late, and their warranty is actually better than Apples.

10. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Sorry, but if you think Apple's quality control is bad, you're in for a rude shock when you go to other manufacturers. Apple is still number one in the industry, although Dell is actually not doing that badly these days.

11. ilifecomputer macrumors 6502

MS coverage plan might be a little too generous. They basically give you your money back for a new system within two years for a 100 dollar deductible. I couldnt believe when the guy was telling me about. Reminds me of old Best Buy protection plan where if something went wrong youd just get a giftrcard for original purchase. Too good.