Alternative plugins to play Flash ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by XPcentric, Jan 16, 2011.

1. XPcentric macrumors 6502

It heats. Especially when I watch long videos.

Since now I found I can open some google videos using VLC,
    and I found yesterday Vimeo flash player, which require to install, and after that it also require to install toolbar. I didnt install the toolbar but the player seemed to run still in flash (I have to mention that flash blocker is also installed)

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/vimeo_releases_embeddable_html5_video_player.php

2. simsaladimbamba

ClickToFlash (Safari plugin or extension) or HTML5 betas of YT or Vimeo.

3. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Quick question--I have new iMac and I'm getting ready to download click to flash--but do I need to have flash downloaded first? Sorry--this is all new to me.

4. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

5. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Install Flash Player Square, the 64 bit version of the Flash Beta. Then install ClickToFlash.

I would recommend Plugin Customs because it works for all Safari plugins including Java, Flash, Silverlight, QuickTime, and etc. Nice combo with Youtube5. Plugins Custom also can be installed from the official Safari Extensions Gallery.

6. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Do you have to install clicktoflash on each seperate user account?

I downloaded it on the admin account, installed and made sure it was working...

But when I went to another account, it was loading flash--no block. I couldn't find it in utilities, etc...so do I need to download again for that user?

Thanks!

7. XPcentric thread starter macrumors 6502

This is definitely a good extension, thanks. I hope we will soon be able to play any video including live tv streaming using anything but no flash. Most online channels stream using flash

@Btrthnezr3 - depends where the file was installed. Usually the file installed in user library will work only for that user and if it is installed in system library will work for all users.

8. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Safari extensions are user specific so will have to be installed in each account.