Alternative SSD rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trey M, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Hi all,

Just wondering, aside from the OWC Aura Pro series, are there any other manufacturers that sell alternative SSD's for the rMBP? I know it's a proprietary connector, so I was just wondering if there's another company aside from OWC that manufactures such a product? For the record, I have a mid 2012 rMBP

Thanks

2. robvas macrumors 68020

For your rMBP they make an adapter card that lets you use any mSATA SSD - you can buy them on eBay/Amazon for like $15

3. Trey M thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Thanks, I wasn't aware Transcend made a similar SSD. Trying to find a comparison between the 2 as I just ordered an OWC drive. Do you have any experience with either?

4. Trey M thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Wanted to follow up here-- ended up getting the Transcend Jetdrive 725 after reading some reviews. There's very little info on the Internet (think there was one solid review of a comparison between the 2) so thought I'd share my thoughts here.

Overall, the OWC vs Transcend comparison is of two very similar products. Neither has significant advantages over the other. To me, after reading customer reviews on a few sites of both drives, I saw a trend of OWC drives running into problems after some time. The Amazon reviews were noticeably better for Transcend than they were for OWC. Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either, though.

Personally I installed my Jetdrive about 5 days ago, and it's awesome so far. I've not noticed one difference in speed in the system (it might be slightly faster than before) and the installation was painless. Sure one technically has faster read/write times, however the difference is real world usage is worth considering. It's so cool to be able to upgrade a rMBP part since Apple makes literally every other thing in these computers non-upgradable. Its sort of a little known thing since you know Apple's employees will never mention this option to any customer. It's truly a miracle some companies were able to engineer these and similar drives that are designed for exclusive use in Mac laptops.

5. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Well, that's what happens when a company puts profit before everything else.

Need more storage or memory? According to Apple, it's time to buy a whole new computer.