Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikebike125

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
I have had a 3TB Apple Time capsule now for about 4 years. Something keeps happening to it where my iMac and MBP cannot find it. Time Machine will say that the TC is not available. I have called Apple several times with this and we usually end up resetting the whole thing but this is now happening every 2 weeks or so. The Wi-Fi is working fine but it just can't find the TC.

That said, can anyone recommend something that I can get to replace this that has the built in router and hard drive so it will function just like the Time capsule? I know I can go out and get a new TC but money is a little tight now.

Thanks

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
If I were doing it again, I likely would not have a Time Capsule. Owning Chronosync I would setup a backup job, turn versions on, tell it how many versions to keep and then set a schedule for Chronosync to backup at.

Yes I've used SuperDuper and the other popular utilities and they all work. Just found and liked Chronosync and have stuck with them since 2008.

https://www.econtechnologies.com/chronosync/overview.html

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't think there's a third-part device that would be as reliable as a Time Capsule is supposed to be.

If you want to do further troubleshooting...you said you've called Apple several times...what do you mean by "resetting"? Did Apple ask you about your local network configuration?

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
There are videos showing how to replace the hard drive in a TC. A problem to consider is the drive is good but the controller has gone bad. Hard to diagnose without time and effort and an extra drive (or even cable).

omikeyz

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2009
I have had a 3TB Apple Time capsule now for about 4 years. Something keeps happening to it where my iMac and MBP cannot find it. Time Machine will say that the TC is not available. I have called Apple several times with this and we usually end up resetting the whole thing but this is now happening every 2 weeks or so. The Wi-Fi is working fine but it just can't find the TC.

That said, can anyone recommend something that I can get to replace this that has the built in router and hard drive so it will function just like the Time capsule? I know I can go out and get a new TC but money is a little tight now.

Thanks
hey, did you manage to resolve the issues or have you had more? Thanks for any info. I have had trouble all of 2018 with mine and I have a case pending next month with Apple. Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.