Alternative to 23in ACD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AnthonyG, Apr 19, 2008.

1. AnthonyG macrumors newbie

I am looking into a monitor for a mac pro which i will purchase this weekend. The apple monitor is just too expensive for only 23in. I want a monitor for video and graphics editing, surfing the web, and maybe some movies. 1920-by-1200 resolution at 23 or 24 inches is a must.

Thank you for reading :)

2. AnthonyG thread starter macrumors newbie

3. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

That Samsung is a TN panel...the Dell mentioned here is S-PVA and the ACD's are S-IPS.

So consider the difference in panel quality that the ACD would give you if you're going to be doing, for example, print work or how important color accuracy is.

4. AnthonyG thread starter macrumors newbie

5. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

OP: In the description for the LG, it states 2 resolutions? Also, is it HDCP compliant? This is very likely to matter if you ever wish to watch Blu-ray disks in the future, and is a feature that Apple monitors do not have.

With the Dell, you get this, plus a card reader, USB port, and other handy ports as well. You also get the satisfaction of knowing that many MR members are quite satisfied with the Dell monitor, and often recommend it for others who plan to use it for design and content creation as well. Here is a link to cnet review.

Just no, on the Doublesight. Good luck on your decision. :)

6. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

7. AnthonyG thread starter macrumors newbie

there are to versions the s-ips is W2600HP-BF

8. AnthonyG thread starter macrumors newbie

9. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I have a Dell E248WFP, their el cheapo 24"er. It's actually quite good, and comes at a great price. i got mine for $375!

10. Cesoca macrumors member

Cesoca

Is it an EU-only version?

11. Cesoca macrumors member

Cesoca

12. AnthonyG thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for telling me this. Too bad they are $1k+ :(

13. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Have you considered picking up a used Eizo or something? There isn't really a cheap way of getting that level of color accuracy, sadly.

PVA/MVA is certainly better than TN and it may be enough if you're not doing print work, for example.

14. ScottChez macrumors newbie

I see one of the major box stores has the Dell 22" for $199 the Dot pitch is a little higher than the apple, what do you guys think, closest to the apple monitor??

I am looking for something closest in dot pitch aND PIC QUALITY but a lot lower in price.

15. waynesun macrumors regular

waynesun

NO on the Doublesight?! Are you mad? DoubleSight offers perhaps the best value for a 26'' S-IPS screen. It has been confirmed that it uses a nearly identical (but faster panel) than the outrageously priced Planar 26''. It has been recommended for gamers and designers alike. It's practically the reason why they've been sold out everywhere you can find them (Newegg, Buy.com, Amazon.. etc).

Coming from a different set of Hardware forums, it is pretty easy to say that most designers and connoisseurs no longer consider the ACD to be "the best in the market". It has been a long known fact that the ACD holds an inflated price tag compared to the competition.

The 2007WFP and 20'' ACD use identical panels.. there's no difference. Don't let the design and brand blind your perception. The 30'' ACD has abdicated the throne long ago, Dell's 3008WFP now sits at the top as greatest in value and quality (never thought it would come down to that.. but that's the sad truth).

As much as fanboyism would recommend this monitor.. be smart with your money. Don't let the branding and hype rob your wallet. Don't invest in an ACD right now.. the best advice anyone can give is to wait for an updated version. If you absolutely must have a monitor right now, i suggest you head on over to TFTCentral (google it) for thorough, non-biased, reliable reviews (Hazro, for example, has a great H-IPS 23'' if you're in the UK).

:apple:

16. AnthonyG thread starter macrumors newbie

I kinda like the doublesight. I forgot what was what turned me off. Doesnt it have bad input lag or something?

17. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

im sorry but those Dells have a TN panel that are terrible and display a lot less colours than the TFT IPS panels and are very colour inaccurate. thats why theyre cheap. if you want an ACD alternative get the 24" Dell Ultrasharp which has a TFT IPS panel like the ACD.

18. Cesoca macrumors member

Cesoca

19. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Have you owned this Doublesight, and tested it, or are you just making assumptions about my comment? No, I'm not mad. I had this monitor, and sold it, so of course I don't recommend it.

The back light bleeding is tolerable, but an annoyance. Two dead, and one stuck pixel. It's virtually a Planar with a different stand and badge, and a few hundred dollars cheaper. Text mode is the only mode that doesn't have banding issues.

It works fine with PS3, confirming it has HDCP compliance, but won't work with my cable box, and just continues to try and negotiate, without succeeding. The banding is mostly noticeable with gradients, and since the OP said he will be doing graphic editing, I think this will matter.

So again, I don't recommend this monitor.

OP, the lag issue is minimal.

20. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

21. Cesoca macrumors member

Cesoca

Maybe you were confused because Dell uses S-IPS in its 30" panel.

Mind you, I'm not one of those who put S-IPSs as a kind of "almost perfect" panel. There are known issues with them too, back light bleeding among others. Still, for color accuracy they are the best.

Awaiting for an Eizo. :)