Alternative to ACD???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Josh.C.123, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Josh.C.123 macrumors member

I keep on reading mixed reviews on the ACD and its pricey in the UK. So i was wondering what alternative screens are there which look good, are quality screens and preferably not as expensive! cheers.

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The Dell U2410 and HP LP2475w are comparable, though not LED backlit. They are around £450 inc. VAT.

3. Josh.C.123 thread starter macrumors member

led screens?

thanks! i love the look of the dell screen but are there any huge advantages to the acd? i know the led screen boots up quicker but apart from that...?

4. brendu macrumors 68020

dell makes great products... i have a 24" dell and i love it, since its about 1/4 the price of the ACD, i dont care that it isnt backlit

the dell also takes vga, dvi, and hdmi in, the apple takes none of those without adapters... but the apple has built in speakers...

5. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

have you looked at the samsung range, they have some nice monitors kicking around for half decent prices [​IMG]

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I have the Dell U2410, great screen. Boot up time is quick, I don't even notice it. The IPS panel in the Dell is identical to the one in the ACD so picture quality on both should be the same.

It offers much more than the ACD. It has 2 DVI, DisplayPort, HDMI, VGA and component inputs, along with a USB hub and a card reader. I currently have a Mac Pro and MacBook hooked up to it, Mac Pro via DVI and MacBook via DisplayPort, it's nice not having to swap cables like I would with the ACD. And I can even do picture-in-picture or side-by-side with both computers if I wanted to. And best of all, it's not glossy. I guess that's personal preference but I HATE glossy screens. You get more monitor for a fraction of the price.

7. RebootD macrumors 6502a

RebootD

NEC 2490wuxi or the NEC 2690wuxi2 (which I have) come with wide gamut IPS displays and hardware calibration if that is what you are looking for.

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The Apple, Dell, HP and NEC 2690 are all wide gamut, but the NEC 2490 is actually standard. Both the NEC are better than the ACD, but the price is too.

9. RebootD macrumors 6502a

RebootD

You are right thanks for catching that! Also you can save cash by opting not to get the hardware puck + software but it kinda defeats the purpose.

10. Josh.C.123 thread starter macrumors member

hmm

i checked out the dell further... in my opinion it was the best alternative however the pricing of the dell and acd are the same in uk (using the student discount). anything significant that makes the dell better than the apple product, for the same price would it be better to get the backlit led acd?

11. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Dell's online price is not set in stone, you can call and get a better price. Most UK retailers will undercut the site on displays though so shop around. You can get it at overclockers.co.uk this week for £440 inc. VAT.

The bonuses of the dell if the pricing were the same would be, in my opinion, that it is matte (if you want it), way better connectivity options and 3 years of Dell's premium onsite cover. Remember Dell are in the monitor business, Apple are in the Apple business ;). Should note you might get 3 years cover on your display through a HE purchase, I can't remember though.

12. Neuroguy macrumors member

+1 for Dell U2410

I had my Dell U2410 delivered yesterday. Absolutely gorgeous display. I highly recommend. Educational/business pricing was less than $500 with a 3 yr warranty.

NeuroG

13. Josh.C.123 thread starter macrumors member

sorry for obvious question... but with any display you hook up the mbp too can you do the mirror screen thing...(is this just, what appears on your mbp comes on ur screen also?) thanks

14. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

how do you get education pricing? This could be what pulls me away from the ACD

15. ChevyAppleJR macrumors newbie

ChevyAppleJR

What about using an HDTV

I am using a Westinghouse 32inch LCD TV I have a Mini Displayport to HDMI for my mid 2009 Macbook Pro. I connected it with high quality HDMI cable.

Only problem is there isn't any sound coming out of the TV is there a setting I have to change or can I not do that?

Why would someone buy an ACD over a TV just wondering?

16. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

while a tv may be fine for normal use it is in no way fine for professional use i.e. the colors may be off, low resolution, etc. Its like cars would you rather take a suburban to the races because its bigger or a corvette which is more expensive but you are getting more under the hood.

17. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

MiniDisplayPort does not carry audio.

You need to use the audio-out port and hopefully your TV will have an analouge audio-in.

Or use something like this that combines USB audio and MDP into HDMI.

18. Neuroguy macrumors member

I work at an academic medical center, so we have .edu email addresses and a Dell portal website to order from .

I'm sure there are other ways to get edu or business pricing...

NeuroG