Alternative to Address Book.app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by klaxamazoo, Jul 30, 2011.

1. klaxamazoo macrumors 6502

I really dislike the new Lion address book and am looking for a good alternative. Why Apple decided that they can't show more than two columns of information is beyond me. I need to be able to see my groups, list and individual cards at the same time. I've searched google but didn't see anything good.

Can anyone recommend good alternative address book? I'm looking for the ability to make groups, smart groups and sync over mobileme/iCloud.

Thanks.

2. icanboogie macrumors regular

icanboogie

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

There's SOHO Organizer. Uses the Address Book database but with many more features.

4. bd525 macrumors newbie

Good, cheap replacement

Addresses, $4 from the App Store, is a good choice. It needs further polishing, but the current version (1.1) is already FAR better than the Lion Address Book. From my App Store review:

Compared to the atrocious Lion Address Book this is 6 stars out of 5, but I'm withholding my top rating until the developer adds smart groups. In the meantime, it's not much hassle--in my case, anyway--to create and edit smart groups in Address Book. Then, smart group relevant data entered in Addresses gets properly updated. The main weakness is that smart groups are not identified in Address Book as such. Not a big deal for me, and the developer has indicated that smart groups will be added in a future update.

Aside from that, Addresses is much improved from Version 1 and WAY better than Lion Address Book! Three-pane view is huge, but other significant and meaningful improvements include 1) select whether to sort by last or first name, 2) edit in list view (which is VERY useful), and 3) press the option/alt key to highlight the groups the current contact is in. Others have remarked that the program is a little rough looking, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest. Consider the catastrophe that resulted when Apple decided to get cute with the look of Address Book.

So, big kudos to the developer. I trust that further significant improvements will be forthcoming.

5. permco2 macrumors newbie

Contact Manager

Oh how I wish I was a programmer. I would make a Mac app that would be easy to use - intuitive - powerful - like ACT for Mac was - or Like Personal Organizer still is for older OS - that would synch with all the Mac address book, ipads, iphones etc. - that could be sorted, printed, manipulated - etc. and used on my desktop and shared with all my employees.

Can anybody out there do it?? I would pay for it.

Daylite is too expensive and complicated. Soho Organizer doesn't print other than in .pdf form - stupid, stupid way to print - Elements is too expensive - Studiometry is ridiculous, clumsy and inadequate - what else is there?????