Alternative to airport express

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2005
UK
I would like a reasonably inexpensive mac compatible router with
1) wireless streaming audio (like airtunes)
2) built in adsl modem

if possible i would like the audio to stream from either itunes or some video application, or all system sounds (although i am pretty sure the last two aren't available yet).

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
thefunky_monkey said:
I would like a reasonably inexpensive mac compatible router with
1) wireless streaming audio (like airtunes)
2) built in adsl modem

if possible i would like the audio to stream from either itunes or some video application, or all system sounds (although i am pretty sure the last two aren't available yet).
I haven't heard of any other hardware with wileless music streaming. Airport Express looks like your best (only) option.

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
You can plug an ethernet ADSL modem directly into a AirportExpress.

I have an AirportExpress, but I use it solely for streaming when at home. I use another router for my wireless network and ADSL.

The AirportExpress also comes in handy when travelling. I sometimes use it for creating wireless networks when not at home.

You can also use it as a repeater to extend the range of your existing wireless network, but unfortunately it will only work with other Airport base stations.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2005
UK
thanks for all the responses,

i was almost certainly going to get an airport express, but thought one with a modem would be nicer.

at uni i will probably plug it into the ethernet, and at home there is already a network (it should work with the bt router right?)

if i need to dial up in the future, i might consider the airport extreme and use this to extend the network.