Alternative to Android BSPlayer

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by InternetSandman, Dec 7, 2013.

1. InternetSandman macrumors newbie

I'm in the process of planning and organizing what will eventually become my home theater system and my original idea was to use an Android phone/tablet as the remote control for the system, using an app called BSPlayer, this is the link to it for reference:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bsplayer.bspandroid.full

The big reasons this appealed to me was the ability to access the file systems of any NAS (it didn't even need to be DLNA compatible from what I could tell) and stream them to the device, with an incredibly long list of supported formats in both audio and video, and every format I needed. My plan was to use this app in conjunction with a wireless display adapter hooked up to my TV, letting me send the digital AV signal from the Android device to my TV, and for music, getting a Bluetooth receiver with a digital audio output and connecting that to my hifi headphone system, letting me stream the music from my NAS, through the Android device to the Bluetooth receiver and out to the headphone system

The only flaw in my plan, however, is it means that I'm either buying a rather high end Android tablet to basically act as a middle man between my NAS, headphone system, and home theater system, or a high end Android phone that would replace my iPhone (that I could then sell to recoup some of the costs, but in doing so I would lose the biggest advantage of iOS for me, and that is iMessage, something I really don't wanna go without). This means that either way I'm spending more money than I might need to, so this brings me to my thousand dollar question:

Are there any apps for iOS (made for the iPhone, preferably) that can duplicate the features of BSPlayer? Specifically, being able to access the file structure of a NAS and playing back files onto my iPhone, with a very long list of supported audio and video codecs (notably MKV, AVI, FLAC, lossless WAV) and that supports digital bluetooth audio streaming? And if so, what would be the best way to connect my iPhone to my TV? I'm assuming an Apple TV would be the simplest way to go but I know for a fact that it doesn't support MKV, so are there other options in that side of the hardware?

2. InternetSandman thread starter macrumors newbie