Alternative to Apple Magic Mouse ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by soamz, May 12, 2015.

1. soamz macrumors 6502a

Hi, is there an alternative product to Magic Mouse which accepts gestures and movements ?

2. theluggage macrumors 68030

Googling "touch mouse" will get you offerings from Microsoft and Logitech. However, I'm not sure the idea of combining touch gestures and a mouse really works ergonomically - anything beyond simple scrolling on a Magic Mouse feels too much like trying to do a Vulcan salute to me.

Have you considered the Magic Trackpad? That's going to get you the best 'gesture' experience (pro tip: turn on 'three finger dragging' to make drag & drop usable). I'd recommend it for general use, but you'll need a mouse to fall back on for precise graphics work and gaming.

If you're doing graphics work, you could also look at the Wacom pen & touch graphics tablets that give you touch gestures + a pen for precision. Haven't used one myself.

The Logitech MX Master Mouse (MacRumors thread here) is the other possibility: it gives you the usual scrollwheel, plus a horizontal scrollwheel for your thumb and a simple 'gesture' facility: press down on the thumb rest and move the mouse up for Mission Control, left or right to switch desktops and down for application windows (all reprogrammable). Only just got mine, so jury is still out on how useful this is. If you like heavy, chunky mice that support your palm then its a very nice mouse, too (but as much use as a chocolate teapot if you're left-handed).