Alternative to Apple USB Superdrive

filmboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2013
I've been reading terrible reviews for the Apple USB Superdrive.

Can anyone suggest a superior alternative?

Thanks.

bluespark

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Terrible reviews for the Apple Superdrive? Really? I could see dinging it on value (if one places a low priority on design and simplicity), but it's a great device for it's intended purpose.

That said, I use one of these as a second, Blu-Ray capable second drive and find it to be an excellent value: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MRSSBD6X/

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
We have had zero problems with ours. I ripped over 400 CDs into iTunes and wrote many disks with our superdrive.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I dont see any point in the superdrive. why spend 80 bucks on something that cant even read rip or play blue rays. if your going to spend the money then invest in a slim (if you wish) blue ray player for the same money

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
We ran into the same situation awhile back when my dad bought a new Mac mini - he just picked up a cheapie $35 LG drive from Best Buy - it worked fine out of the box with no extra drivers. No issues or concerns to speak of.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I've been reading terrible reviews for the Apple USB Superdrive.

Can anyone suggest a superior alternative?

Thanks.
Mine is over a year old, ripped countless DVDs and still performing well. I prefer it for the sleek look that matches the iMac. But there are plenty of well performing alternatives at a cheaper price. Any standard USB external will work with the Macs, just search Amazon and pick what fits your budget best. If you are concerned about reliability stay with well known brands: HP, Toshiba, LG, Samsung, etc. I have noticed Amazon puts out one under the Amazon Basic label. Probably worth checking out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.