Alternative to Apple USB Superdrive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by filmboy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. filmboy macrumors newbie

I've been reading terrible reviews for the Apple USB Superdrive.

Can anyone suggest a superior alternative?

Thanks.

2. tibas92013 macrumors 6502

I bought one last September and it is a great piece of equipment. I burned over 2000 CD songs which are now in Apple ITunes.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't know about superior, but there are many less expensive options available.

4. bluespark macrumors 65816

Terrible reviews for the Apple Superdrive? Really? I could see dinging it on value (if one places a low priority on design and simplicity), but it's a great device for it's intended purpose.

That said, I use one of these as a second, Blu-Ray capable second drive and find it to be an excellent value: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MRSSBD6X/

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

We have had zero problems with ours. I ripped over 400 CDs into iTunes and wrote many disks with our superdrive.

6. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I dont see any point in the superdrive. why spend 80 bucks on something that cant even read rip or play blue rays. if your going to spend the money then invest in a slim (if you wish) blue ray player for the same money

7. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

We ran into the same situation awhile back when my dad bought a new Mac mini - he just picked up a cheapie $35 LG drive from Best Buy - it worked fine out of the box with no extra drivers. No issues or concerns to speak of.

8. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

As eschwarz alluded, any USB optical drive will work fine.

9. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Mine is over a year old, ripped countless DVDs and still performing well. I prefer it for the sleek look that matches the iMac. But there are plenty of well performing alternatives at a cheaper price. Any standard USB external will work with the Macs, just search Amazon and pick what fits your budget best. If you are concerned about reliability stay with well known brands: HP, Toshiba, LG, Samsung, etc. I have noticed Amazon puts out one under the Amazon Basic label. Probably worth checking out.

10. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn