Alternative to AT&T's XpressMail?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chodite, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

My company will not give me the Outlook Exchange server settings since it is not a work-issued device (Blackberry), so with my Windows Mobile phone - I simply used AT&T's XpressMail and as long as that software was running on the PC that had my work Outlook on it - new email would get pushed to my phone. All I had to provide was my username and password to XpressMail for Outlook.

Anything like this available on the iPhone?

2. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

I'm guessing this is still an issue. I really don't want to go back to Windows Mobile. Unfortunately I have no choice :(

3. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

This sounds like something you'll need to ask AT&T about. I don't know anything about it and have never actually heard of it. It forwards all emails to another email address?

If this is the case, you could just have it forward to a free Yahoo! account so you could get push notification of them.

EDIT: You could also make a rule so that each email that you get gets forwarded to a free Yahoo acount as well. Just through outlook.

4. psywzrd macrumors 68030

5. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Xpress Mail syncs with corporate Outlook email and pushes it. Can't do it with Yahoo or any other service because POP and/or IMAP is not an option.

6. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

So how do you get the Exchange information into Xpress Mail? They had to give it to you for that right?

7. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

While Outlook is open on your work's server, you open the Xpress Mail software, type in your network username/password and Xpress Mail automatically detects the Exchange Server settings. No idea how, but it does. And it works flawlessly.

Any new mail that comes into your Outlook inbox, Xpress Mail pushes it to your phone. You can also reply to any email and it appears as if it came from your Outlook account.

Unfortunately it was a Windows Mobile app

8. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

I believe that's a web based service. I have webmail through my Outlook email, but would obviously rather have it pushed to my phone instead of logging into a website every few minutes.

9. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Well as a work around you could have it pushed to a yahoo and then go to the website to respond. :( Gotta be a better way. Beg your IT? Explain that with Xpress mail everyone already has access and then there should be no reason not to. Or try and trick him into giving you the info by calling and say your outlook got messed up.

10. psywzrd macrumors 68030

It's not web-based - it pushes your email to your phone just like you're looking to do. What you do is have your mail forwarded to your mail2web email address (yourname@mail2web.com) and it's then pushed to your phone. What I did with my optonline.net account is log in to my optonline account on the web and set it up to forward a copy of my emails to my mail2web account. The only problem with that is that when you reply from your phone, it shows your mail2web email account as the account you are replying from; however, if you use the paid service (I pay $4.95 per month), you can set it up so that your replies come from whatever email address you want. So basically when someone sends an email to me at myname@optonline.net, it comes to me on my phone and if I reply from my phone, it comes from myname@optonline.net. It's actually perfect. Not sure if it will work the same with your setup but you should look into it.

Check out this link for some info:http://lifehacker.com/398526/set-up-push-email-contacts-and-calendar-on-your-iphone-for-free

11. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Sounds like a great option, but I work for a very big company that does not allow forwarding. Thanks though.

12. iJay macrumors newbie

Um, that's exactly what Xpress mail does though. It runs on your desktop pc, logs into you're outlook account and forwards your mail to the Xpress mail server.

If you can install itunes on your machine, you can do the same thing with mobleme.

13. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

XpressMail has an option (when running on the same machine as my corporate Outlook) - to "Automatically detect server settings".
    Huge deal since I am not able to obtain those settings. MobileMe, I believe, does not have such an option.

14. bneil11 macrumors newbie

I hope you find a solution to your problem Chodite, I know a few people with that same issue and so far they've been unable to access their email as well.

I was also thinking about registering my iphone with my work's Microsoft exchange server (my IT guy will give me the settings) but i wanted to know if i did this will my work have access to other email accounts on my phone? So if i setup one acct. with the Microsoft exchange server and another email linked to my gmail acct will they have the ability to monitor my gmail.

I'm not exactly sure how the enterprise services work with the iphone but i know with the blackberry they were able to monitor everything that goes on with the device (i.e. control which apps get added).... Is this the same for the iphone?

Thanks