Alternative to ATI 4870 for MacPro 1,1?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by glawrie, Feb 22, 2010.

1. glawrie macrumors newbie

glawrie

I have a MacPro 1,1 with the original Nvidia Ge7300GT card.

I would like to update it with a better graphics card.

I saw the threads about the option of flashing a PC edition of the ATI 4870 card, and this seemed like a good option. But it seems to be important to get a specific type of ATI4870, and all the ones suggested in the various threads are now showing delisted / out of stock, and on 2nd hand market you can't be sure of the type of card so easily.

So are there other cards I could use that will work with the 1,1?

I'm not interested in state-of-the-art (nor do I have that kind of budget), but something that will improve the speed of graphics to allow photo / video to work better.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

you can do the 4890 too, see my sig

i have 2 flashed 4870s to get rid of though if your interested, pm

3. aibo macrumors 6502

How about a 4870 made by Apple?

How about a GeForce 8800 GT?

4. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

8800 is no longer being sold

4870 from apple = you pay double price for card with half memory.

5. aibo macrumors 6502

I still think most mac users don't mind the extra ~$100. After all, we paid more for macs in the first place so things "just work". Money isn't an issue for many of us.

Also, having double the memory on a hacked 4870 doesn't mean anything since genuine Apple OEM 4870's benchmark faster due to having full 5.0 GT/s link speed instead of 2.5.

BTW I'm not opposed to flashing gfx cards. I did it back in the old days with my Radeon 7000 and even 3dfx Voodoo3 2000. Just decided it wasn't worth the trouble this time around.

6. forester54 macrumors member

forester54

ive thought about buying one to not have to deal with flashing cards but it will save a big chunk of money so I am looking at buying a 4890

7. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

a 4870 does not saturade 2.5GT/s. a 5870 does not even do that...

oh yes in 1 app Mudbox but basically not.

Does not matter anyway since 2006 mac pro can only run ANY card at 2.5GT/s

flashed 4870 has double VRAM and higher clock and will eat apple's card anyday, trufact.

It's as much as 200 $ more for apples card.

get right card and it's a 1 click job with my app.

also, Apple withdraws the 4870 warranty If you use it in a 2006.
    you can let apple fu_ck you over completely if you want to. I'm just saying.

8. aibo macrumors 6502

Hmm, I did not know that. Good to know.

I bought my 4870 at launch and paid the student price ($50 off). At that time, the real OEM card was less than $100 more than a flash-friendly PC 4870 from NewEgg. I haven't followed prices since. So yeah, flashing a PC version just wasn't worth it to me at the time.

True, though the chances of Apple ***** over people with flashed cards in an OS X update is a higher probability IMO.

9. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

no, it's impossible, you obviously don't know the tech behind it so dont mention stuff like that, a flashed 4870 is identical to apple card.

theres nothing magical with apple gpus.
    buy any PC 4870 and peel of the sticker on top, tada~~~it even looks like the Apple card. flash it and you got an perfectly identical copy (with twice the space on the vram chip if you'd like)

10. aibo macrumors 6502

Obviously I don't know the tech. But they're not identical or a flashed 4870 wouldn't be reporting 2.5 GT/s link speed. Apple could impliment a check specifically for that, and disable the video. Or how about a check to make sure the card has 512MB. And yeah, blocking the 4890 would be even easier.

11. Fiete5401 macrumors regular

Apple could build an atomic bomb too but it would make as much sense as blocking flashed gpus -> absolutely none.

12. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

quote for truth.

the chance is bigger that they will block 3rd party hard drives or RAM, seeing as flashed cards are like 1.5% of the worlds Mac Pro cards..

13. aibo macrumors 6502

1.5% of Mac Pro cards, and 100% of Hackintosh cards. If they ever did do it, it would be as a tool in their war against Hackintoshes.

14. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

it's not as easy as writing a line of code, <if card =4870 & !=512mb; stop display> :rolleyes:

the support for apple's cards are there, you just cant remove the support for PC cards without harming the apple cards. it's the same hardware.

apple would have a HECK of a job if they suddenly had to BLOCK all the components they DIDNT use. to me it looks like they are having trouble getting the components they ARE using to work OK in the first place; see 2009 mac pro audio bug. (solved yes, after _9_ months though)

15. aibo macrumors 6502

It'd be ridiculously easy for Apple to implement a check to make sure the card has 512MB RAM. You are right -- not one line of code, but it's not hard at all. Heck, they've already gone to far greater lengths removing Intel Atom support.

16. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

so what, someone from hackintosh scene rewrites the driver.

as for atom, you really don't know what you're talking about..
    they dropped Atom because it was a chunk of unused code. they added atom support probably because they planned to release a computer with the cpu.
    when they changed their minds they removed the code. no point releasing OS versions with alot of unused code.
    the above is my personal thought though, I don't work inside Apple. but you can not reasonably believe there is another explanation.
    it's like if Apple would add AMD CPU support in 10.6.3, then in 10.6.4 they would remove it. same thing. no reason to go OMG MG THEY R KILLING HACKINTOSHS

17. aibo macrumors 6502

Speculation on your part.... and you really don't know what you're talking about either, as demonstrated by your "hacked cards are identical to Apple OEM cards" argument.

With the cat and mouse game Apple's been playing with hacked iPhones over the last two years, how can you put it past them to in the future write specific checks for hacked video cards? Especially if the hackintosh community flares up. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean you're safe. I'm surprised they haven't done it already.

18. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

A 512mb flashed card would be, wouldnt it?

Because Apple loses alot of money from Hacked iPhones = Free apps.
    Mac Pro's are 0.1% of sold Macs or less, look at how long it took to fix the critical Audio Bug. Apple does not care for Mac Pro users or their monkeybusiness with Flashing cards.

You have to understand that blocking out a GPU would essentially mean as much as blocking out 3rd party Hard Drives, RAID cards or whatever. It's not something Apple would desire. In the end they would lose on it by selling less Machines because their so called Expandable Mac just became an iMac without a screen. Essentially feeding the hackintosh scene!

I'm not saying Hackintoshes will be safe forever, they probably will get hunted by Apple at some point. However, I do belive the hackers always win. You can see that on the iPhone scene. There are hackers out there that are as skilled if not more, then the Apple programmers. Just look at netkas and his work.

19. Fiete5401 macrumors regular

Dude, obviously you have no clue who you are talking to. Cindori is the grandmaster in flashing ATi-cards. He developed a ONE-CLICK-solution so everyone can use a pc-ati-gpu in a Mac Pro!
    The atom-case is something completely different compared to what we are talking about here. It was unused code Apple removed. Nonfunctional-Atom-based netbooks were collateral damage, nothing else.

20. mcxreflex macrumors newbie

Are there a cheap possibility for mid powerful single slot graphic card for a 1.1 mac pro?

21. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

You have to chose between:

ATI 2600HD (dunno if this is sold separately)

ATI X1900 (known to get clogged with dust, also very old and still expensive)

Nvidia 8800GT (no longer sold by Apple, note that you need the 2006 version)

ATI 3870 (known to have loud fan, pretty expensive and still old

ATI 4870 (choose between flashing a PC card for ~$130 or buying Apples for ~300$)

ATI 4890 (most powerful single Mac Pro 2006 card, requires flashing and a driver, see my signature)

cards are listed by performance (to my best knowledge)

prices are for you to find out. most cards need to be found 2nd hand (ebay)

22. mcxreflex macrumors newbie

Thank you. Geforce 8800 sounds nice. Could you help me with flashing? I added you in msn. I'll looking for the perfect card.

23. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

The 8800 is very hard to flash, because some cards come with a small ROM chip, so you can not fit the firmware. For flashing I advice going the 4870 or 4890 route. Those are the only one I'm able to provide support on, too.

you're free to add me on msn for questions but it's highly unlikely they have not been answered already in the gigantic Ultimate Thread: 4890 and Race to dump 4870 ROM threads.

24. Hmac macrumors 68020

I had the 8800GT in my 1,1 Mac Pro - replace the 1900 with it. It was a yawner for sure, waste of money. I just recently replaced the 8800GT with the Apple 4870, plus the $99 dual link adapter (running 30" ACD x 2). That made for a huge improvement in both FCE and COD4, especially COD4 PC version via BootCamp. I paid more, I know, but it was hassle-free. Completely plug and play. All I had to do was find and install the right PC driver. It even got rid of the green sparklies I'd been suffering with for years.

25. mcxreflex macrumors newbie

ok thank you. Atis look nice but with the active cooler the card needs a double-wight-slot.
    Can I use 3 cards in my Mac Pro? Afaik that possible what do you mean?