Alternative to Coda

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by da-vid, Jun 19, 2011.

1. da-vid macrumors member

Is there an alternative code editor to Coda that has similar remote FTP integration? I'm finally fed up with Coda's awfulness at actually editing code. If you've used this program before, you'd know what I'm talking about.

When you highlight a block of code and press tab in any normal code editor like Dreamweaver and Eclipse, the code becomes indented. Same with shift-tab on a block of highlighted code. Guess what Coda does? It replaces that block of highlighted code with a tab. Yes, that's how idiotic it is.

So, if I ever want to add an if statement surrounding a chunk of code, I either have to manually tab every line, leave it unindented, or open another code editor that works properly and then transfer the code back for uploading. Which defeats the purpose of having an integrated FTP code editor.

I wrote to Panic about this issue like last year but I haven't heard back from them, and the latest version of Coda continues to lack proper code editing abilities. So, any suggestions for alternatives?

2. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Did command + ] and command + [ do indent/reverse indent.

That's the default behaviour. Most cocoa apps will do that, including TextMate.

You might not like it, but there are things I don't like about the Eclipse text editor as well.

It's called slight differences between the tools.

3. Locodice macrumors regular

As the above poster stated just do Command + [ or ] it's really not that hard.

Coda is absolutely awesome.

4. da-vid thread starter macrumors member

Oh snap, I did not know that. That works fine for me. Thanks.

5. lukebrooker macrumors newbie

You can also hold alt

You can also hold alt when selecting the text and then press tab when the cursor is in front of a line to move whole sections.