Alternative to Dreamweaver? I miss GoLive

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Stephen73, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Stephen73 macrumors newbie

Stephen73

I'm quite stumped.

I'm a graphic designer who does occasional websites. I really do not need the exhaustive power of Dreamweaver so I can't justify spending the equivalent of $800 (import duties are really high and I can't buy directly from Adobe's website) for something I'm going to use a small portion of.

I learnt on GoLive and miss not having an up-to-date version of it.

I'm trying out FreeWay, but it's very restrictive in the sense that everything is plug-in based with no accessing the HTML directly. Want a YouTube video on your page, fine. Want a video from anywhere else, and you're stuck. And when it comes to something simple like a mouse-over, you need to wade through 10 pages of instructions in the manual to figure it out. And don't get me started on the single un-do, are we stuck in the 80's?

I've also tried out Rapidweaver but it's even more restrictive as everything is template based. I can't even change a button or a background image. It's very like iWeb which is also no good. The moment a client asks for a change, I'm stuck ("Can I have an email button in the top right corner?" "Err, no. Yes, I have seen it on other websites.")

Please tell me there's something out there in the $150 - $250 price range that offers html editing and CSS layout.

(I really resent Adobe for discontinuing GoLive. Couldn't they have kept it around as a "Dreamweaver Lite" for graphic designers and other non web developers?). Sort of like Apple does with their Final Cut Pro and Express versions.

I might just be stupid and not seeing how to work around RapidWeaver/iWeb's limitations, so feel free to enlighten me if I'm being too harsh on them.

2. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

On a related note, I liked the Adobe ImageReady application, but that got canned for Fireworks.

This was inevitable when the two merged - some products which people liked would get canned. Very sad and goes to show that competition can eventually lead to less choice, not more.

3. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

Coda is a lovely program that excels at HTML/CSS.

http://www.panic.com/coda/

it is not a WYSIWYG editor, just a well thought out code editor.