Alternative to DualHead2Go

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by monsieurpaul, Oct 27, 2011.

1. monsieurpaul macrumors regular

Hello all,

In order to expand the screen real estate for my MBP, I just got the following setup :
    - 2 X 23” LCD 1920
    - 1 X DualHead2Go DP edition

I’m rather disappointed by the result for various reasons. I still have a week to RMA the DualHead2Go, however I can’t return the displays.
    I’m looking for an alternative and I have found the following USB to DVI adapters so far:
    - eVGA UV Plus UV19 USB DVI
    - Diamond BVU195 USB DVI
    - Diamond BVU1000 USB HDMI

Reviews for these products are scarce so I welcome any input and comments: 1920x1080 @ 60Hz ? 32 bit colors ? video ? Do they use the same chipset ?

In addition, are there others options available: expresscard to DVI ? USB 3.0 to DVI ?

Thanks

2. monsieurpaul thread starter macrumors regular

Update:
    I finally bought the eVGA UV19+ USB to DVI adapter and I don't regret it at all.

It works at 1080p with 32 bit colors, I don't notice any differences in picture quality with my primary screen (plugged with mini displayport to displayport adapter, same display in both case: Asus 23" IPS PA238Q)

There is however some lag appearing once you change more than a 1/4 of the screen surface. It's particularly visible with Mission Control and hide windows animations. I can't watch a full screen video on this screen either.

Overall it's a real improvement compare to the DualHead2Go for a third of the price. If I could do it again, I may still choose a 27" ACD, but these USB to DVI adapters are a viable and cheap alternative.