iPhone Alternative to Google Authenticator for iOS7?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Tezcatlipoca, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Tezcatlipoca macrumors regular

Tezcatlipoca

Given that Google Authenticator doesn't work properly under the iOS7 Beta, does anyone have any recommendations for a trustworthy alternative?

I've seen mentions of a few... e.g. Authy, HDE OTP, Duo Mobile...

2. 537635 macrumors 6502

3. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

Google Authenticator working fine here, all betas on iOS 7.

4. dontcallmedaz macrumors newbie

5. Stalyn macrumors regular

6. pfarrell4 macrumors newbie

Duo Mobile also works fine on iOS 7 and works with Google Auth.

7. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

8. Tezcatlipoca thread starter macrumors regular

Tezcatlipoca

That's one option, but I find using an app easier.

Thanks. I'll have a look at those.

For me, it started out with no descriptions... I was only able to use it because I could remember the order of the entries in the app.

... But then the next time I opened it, it was empty, no entries at all... And it wouldn't keep them if I re-added them.

It's not unique to me, and seems to be a common issue, e.g.:

https://code.google.com/p/google-authenticator/issues/detail?id=278

https://twitter.com/samuelkadolph/status/354003195737030656

http://www.dafacto.com/2013/07/04/google-authenticator-broken-in-ios7-use-authy-instead/

(plus of course is in the first post of this thread)

9. fortheus macrumors regular

Try HDE OTP it also password protect your otp

10. Edge macrumors member

I've started using Authy as a replacement for the Google OTP app, which was already showing its age, and completely broke under iOS7.

It is a huge improvement, both functionally and aesthetically. It also offers to back up to Authy's servers in case you lose your phone. I'm not sure of the full security implications of this, but I'm resigned to much of my Dropbox and Gmail (and most likely Apple) data freely roaming the computers of every US agency who feels like taking a gander (I'm not in the US.)

Conveniently, it protects my main domain registrar with two-factor auth. Added reassurance.

11. JayTay macrumors member

JayTay

Another recommendation for Authy here, so much better than Google's own.

12. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

I recommend:

HDE OTP

OTP Auth

I prefer the non-skeumorphic interface of OTP Auth, but both apps work on iOS 7.

I don't like Authy and Duo Mobile for the following reasons:

Authy: They require that you enter your phone number and email on first use and backup the OTP tokens online.

Duo Mobile: Is missing a countdown timer and that it sends "usage data" to their server.

13. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Another vote for Authy. I had to move to it after Google Authenticator quit working. It's a pain moving 15 accounts, but worth it. The Google code project has not been updated since 2011.

14. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

Authy looks great, if only they allowed the use of the app without requiring your phone number and email.

15. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

It's really just for a recovery system. Use a Google voice number and an email that you use for spam.

16. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

Thanks but too much complication (I currently don't have google voice). I did rather us another not so beautiful app that does not asks for personal info :).

17. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

No harm in that. It's a small price to pay in my opinion for a superior product.
    My main complaint is I needed a product to work now, while I have iOS 7 installed.
    I was at a disadvantage and I did not want to revert to iOS 6 to use Google Authenticator.

18. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

The other apps I mentioned (Duo Mobil, OTP Auth and HDE OTP) work perfectly for me in iOS 7. Though I do not like Duo as it phones home.

19. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I did look at them. Scratched Duo off the list for that reason. Picked Authy based on ascetics mostly. It just looked good to me.

20. Tezcatlipoca thread starter macrumors regular

Tezcatlipoca

Well, I never did get around to trying anything else, and had been making do with SMS...

... until surprisingly Google Authenticator received an update, adding Retina display & iPhone 5 screen-size support... And seemingly also iOS 7 support :)

The new version even lets you name the codes, which is extremely useful given that the old version used the username as the identifier for the code... not much use if each site/service uses the same username (email).

One thing I have just noticed right now though... all my old codes that were wiped from the old version have mysteriously reappeared :confused:

21. Tezcatlipoca thread starter macrumors regular

Tezcatlipoca

v2 didn't lose any of mine, as they were already lost on the original one due to iOS7... But it's nice that v2.0.1 has restored those for me too, as well as fixing things for anyone who lost entries due to v2 :)

22. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

If I followed the mess correctly, yes you are right :)

23. Tezcatlipoca thread starter macrumors regular

Tezcatlipoca

Ha, sorry, edited my post after you hit quote!

Yes, mine were not lost by v2, they were lost by the original version not working with iOS 7 - hence why I started this thread! :)