Alternative to Grab

chansmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
I have been using Grab to select portions of a screen and save a screenshot of it. I then have to upload those to a website. It works great except that I have to convert the shots from .tiff to .jpg. Does anybody have an app that would just take the shots in jpg to start with so that I could eliminate the conversion step?

I don't use the screen capture feature because I can't title the shots. When I'm working, I take dozens of these and I want to name them so I can find the ones I want when I'm uploading.

Any suggestions?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
vertical
Automator has an Action that will do image-type conversions (and many other image-oriented actions). Its name is "Change Type of Images".

So make an Automator Workflow (or Application), and use it to batch-convert your image files to JPEG (or any other supported format).

Making an Application will allow you to drag-and-drop folders and files onto the Finder icon of the app. A plain Workflow doesn't have that option, but it will be easier to test and debug with a plain Workflow, because you can add an Action at its start that lets you present a dialog to choose folders and files.

Finally, converting to JPEG is common enough, and easy enough in Automator, that you might find an existing example of it here:
http://macosxautomation.com/automator/

chansmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Thanks! I'll look at Automator, and at using the screenshot again. Appreciate the help.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
vertical
Thanks! I'll look at Automator, and at using the screenshot again. Appreciate the help.
If you're using the command-key screenshot capability, you can tell it to take the shot in JPG format directly. See here:
http://guides.macrumors.com/Taking_Screenshots_in_Mac_OS_X

One problem is that the com.apple.screencapture image-type doesn't apply to Grab.

There's another settable parameter that specifies the name of the screenshot file (see link).