Alternative to Grab

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chansmac, Jan 9, 2014.

1. chansmac macrumors newbie

I have been using Grab to select portions of a screen and save a screenshot of it. I then have to upload those to a website. It works great except that I have to convert the shots from .tiff to .jpg. Does anybody have an app that would just take the shots in jpg to start with so that I could eliminate the conversion step?

I don't use the screen capture feature because I can't title the shots. When I'm working, I take dozens of these and I want to name them so I can find the ones I want when I'm uploading.

Any suggestions?

2. chown33 macrumors 604

Automator has an Action that will do image-type conversions (and many other image-oriented actions). Its name is "Change Type of Images".

So make an Automator Workflow (or Application), and use it to batch-convert your image files to JPEG (or any other supported format).

Making an Application will allow you to drag-and-drop folders and files onto the Finder icon of the app. A plain Workflow doesn't have that option, but it will be easier to test and debug with a plain Workflow, because you can add an Action at its start that lets you present a dialog to choose folders and files.

Finally, converting to JPEG is common enough, and easy enough in Automator, that you might find an existing example of it here:
    http://macosxautomation.com/automator/

3. And macrumors 6502

And

Would .png work instead?

Command-Shift-3 takes a whole screen shot
    Command-Shift-4 lets you select a section

4. chansmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I'll look at Automator, and at using the screenshot again. Appreciate the help.

5. chown33 macrumors 604

If you're using the command-key screenshot capability, you can tell it to take the shot in JPG format directly. See here:
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Taking_Screenshots_in_Mac_OS_X

One problem is that the com.apple.screencapture image-type doesn't apply to Grab.

There's another settable parameter that specifies the name of the screenshot file (see link).