Alternative to Hackintosh

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by oscillatewildly, Nov 11, 2008.

1. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

Hello,

A laptop/notebook to be used by me for a year to a year and a half, then handed down with a bit of browser life left. I'll be using it for the basics - Internet, email and streaming stock prices; simple photo/video editing can wait. The budget is small for this stop gap, circa 300GBP/500USD. Which secondhand portable Mac would you get? If none, which Hackintosh notebook would you go for?

How does Linux compare to OS X for the basics? How is it for security/viruses?

I'm waiting for both SSD prices and Snow Leopard to settle down. The eventual target, if they don't transport me to the Funny Farm for the thought, is a MacBook Air.

Thank you for your help,
    OW

2. oscillatewildly thread starter macrumors 68000

3. svndmvn Guest

find one that still has some warranty,a white macbook,let's say,less than a year old..but even older powerbooks/ibooks should do
    linux can be a problem with peripherals,more than Macs,i mean

4. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

You could look at laptops like ASUS X71A series. These got different configs and are somehow buyer-pocket friendly.

5. LinMac macrumors 65816

Linux is great. I actually run Linux on my Macbook Pro alongside OS X for tasks that I find harder in OS X.

Try Ubuntu 8.10 for a good start and choose your favorite distribution.

6. oscillatewildly thread starter macrumors 68000

Thank you for the help.

How do the last 12 inch iBook and Powerbook compare to the current crop of netbooks?

(Edit - I'll ask in the iBook section. Cheers.)