Alternative to i-Tunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MartinD28, Jan 9, 2008.

1. MartinD28 macrumors newbie

I have just tranferred from windows to Mac 10.4.11 and would like to keep using MP3 files as i-Tunes and AAC files are not compatible with other software I use (ProTools). I have no problem syncing my MP3 player with MP3 files already in the music folder, the problem is with the actual software. I have Windows Media Player, Flip4Mac AND Real Player but neither of them read the CD. The only I can do it is by opening a file under the file menu. That doesn't allow me to play the CD though, just play a chosen song within the CD. There also seems to be no way to rip a CD either. I have the same problem with XNJB player as well. Am I doing something wrong or am I absolutely locked into i-Tunes? :confused:

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Wow. I'd really love to help but I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say.

3. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

iTunes handles MP3 files just fine. You can even rip CDs with iTunes into MP3 files. You're not locked into using AAC.

4. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

What the? iTunes can play MP3 files. What am I missing in your post?

I'm sure there is an alternative, there's iTunes or not. Life or death.

5. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    By default, iTunes imports CDs as AAC files. You can switch to MP3:

Go to the iTunes application menu-->Preferences-->Advanced-->Importing-->Import Using (switch to MP3)

I'm not sure if I understand the rest of your question.

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If you put a CD in your Mac, it should show up in iTunes. Then you can convert into MP3.

You could use Max if you don't like iTunes.

8. MartinD28 thread starter macrumors newbie

I may be able to rip to MP3 instead of AAC with i-tunes but I won't be able to sync it up with my Creative MP3 player will I?

9. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

No. Not with iTunes. I honestly don't know what program will work for that.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Cog is another player.

EDIT: You can use XNJB to sync with your Creative (or another make) MP3 player.

11. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

Songbird and play. Use max to rip CDs. You're quite confused aren't you?
    Restate

12. MartinD28 thread starter macrumors newbie

You hit the nail on the head Tarkovski - i am totally baffled. All I want to do is use my Creative MP3 player with my sound files like I used to use with windows. I googled Max but had a million google results - is there a web address?

13. Dave Frank macrumors newbie

3rd party MP3 player and iTunes

My 2001 vintage Rio 800 MP3 player shows up in the iTunes sidebar, and can be synched with no problems from Mac OS X, and always has all the way back to Mac OS 10.0. IIRC, the Window version of iTunes does not support syncing to third-party MP3 players. Which Creative player are you using? Does it show up in System Profiler when connected?

-Dave Frank

14. Flowero4ka macrumors regular

I use iTunes only for radio, so alternative for me it's Radio Online Tuner...

15. rafs32 macrumors newbie

Hi

I have had some issue with itunes as well. I bought a shuffle for music, but kept my Phillips as my system for playing audio files in lessons.

No sync is possible with itunes, all you can do is convert to mp3, then drag and drop or copy and paste into your player. Works fine for my Philips mp3 player.

I think sync is really inbuilt for the apple products, and yahoo music jukebox doesn´t look like it will go mac very soon, unfortunately.

The one problem I still have is making sure the audio files for my lessons don´t turn up in my library? itunes does not seem to tidy files deleted even after using a bookmarking script and deleting from the library.

Anyone with ideas?

cheers stew.t.

16. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi,

to remove the links in your iTunes library, you can use the clean up script Super Remove Dead Tracks. Works like a charm.

/Rupert

17. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

here is the link....Max
    good luck.

18. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Why not just buy an iPod and be done with it. It's designed to work with iTunes. It's ridiculous to make so many accommodations in software on your new Mac just for an MP3 player. Alternatives just ain't gonna cut it. The Creative player is not Mac compatible and that was Creative's choice not to make software to run their devices on a Mac.You've bought a new Mac so you should buy hardware that works with it.

19. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Perhaps I am just going to add to the confusion here, but I am going to put in my $.02... :)

Why don't you just use iTunes (It will organize your music for you if you want, you can still use mp3, it will play stuff for you, its easy to rip and burn CDs through it, etc etc) and then for your mp3 player just go into your iTunes folder and drag and drop the music onto the player.

20. rafs32 macrumors newbie

Clarification.

hi guys

I see your point concerning itunes, if I was just to play music. Maybe I wasn´t clear that the audio files I use are for teaching English. So if I have audio files I don´t want to randomly fill my shuffle with these audio dialogue files.

It is all well to suggest a system if it resolves the problem. My solution works fine, to have another mp3 player for my audio files for lessons, and shuffle for music.

A 2 penth worth should drop, properly ; )

cheers stew.t.

21. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I think you could just make a smart list or playlist for music and then you would just get the music you want. Or use the uncheck box in your list of files and sync checked files only.