Alternative to iDVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brixton.banner, Sep 11, 2010.

1. brixton.banner macrumors newbie

brixton.banner

Is there an alternative to iDVD that is
    a free?
    and
    b works reliably?
    I've done a few (well a lot) of DVDs now with iDVD using avi files on my hard disk with a view to either giving as presents or watching with the family on TV.
    We do not want to hover around my laptop to watch a movie
    In about 90% of these iDVD created DVDs I get an error message from iDVD that there was a problem during encoding and if we try to watch them throgh the TV/DVD player then the film just stops about 75% of the way through.
    This is kind of expensive as most films do not fit on a single layer DVD so I am buying dual layer DVDs at about £26.00 for eight so £3.25 for three quarters of a film, and the associated family tiff after it fails, is rather dull.
    I've tried doing the burning process overnight just in case the running of multiple applications (like me checking e-mails etc.) is causing the problem but this seems to make no difference.
    My video files are all avi format
    I have a macbook Pro with the latest updated OS and the iDVD is genuine software. I have no iffy downloaded software on my machine.