Alternative to Illustrator (Express)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Juggernaut10000, May 16, 2009.

1. Juggernaut10000 macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    Been searching the WWW including all these forums for a vector drawing program for os x for a week and could not make up my mind. Illustrator is too expensive for me and most probably overpowered. But I don't mind spendind let's say 100$ for a kind of "Illustrator Express". I want to design logos for web pages and letters.
    I could already decide for Pixelmator for bitmap editing and for Panic's Coda for web development, if that would help in estimating my skills/preferences.
    I won't need to import from Illustrator or Photoshop and will most probably not have to export to it. I will rather use it in iWorks and the web (over Coda's FTP-Client).

So far I could test/decide against:
    - Inkscape --> no beacause of X11
    - Illustrator --> overpriced
    - any other Adobe product --> overpriced, bad service
    - Zeus Draw --> no
    - EazyDraw --> no
    - VectorDesigner --> no

That left me with the 2 choises (am I missing something?):
    - Lineform
    - Intaglio

Both programs seem to be decent pieces of software, yet reviews varied a lot. Are there any caveats and/or advantages with one of the programs? Are they both actively developed? Which one of the two has more tools? Is one of them buggy?
    I would be very thankful for any help in deciding.
    Best regards

Jugi

2. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Can't say that I've ever tried Lineform, but I do have Intaglio... Unfortunatly... I don't really think that there is anything that can compete with Illustrator... apart from maybe older versions of it LOL... I would have a good look out for maybe a CS3 copy (My Favourite Version) on eBay... I see $389 just looking...

I don't think that you can really go for anything like that I am afraid... If you really need it... then you should buy it!! If you don't need it... then look elsewhere.. because... there really isn't an alternative that is half as good as it...

J

3. Juggernaut10000 thread starter macrumors newbie

It would be really sad if there is only one choise for vector drawing. But it would explain the price tag of Adobe. Still my feeling is, like Photoshop Elements is enough for me, something like Illustrator Elements would be fine as well.
    Does no one see something like an "Illustrator Express" program, he/she could recommend?

Jugi

4. ncmason macrumors regular

ncmason

5. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

6. Juggernaut10000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the links. After reading both reviews I will go for Intaglio.
    Thanks again for the kind help.

Jugi