Alternative to Image Capture to scan docs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by onedeadpirate, Sep 30, 2011.

1. onedeadpirate macrumors newbie

I searched the forum and couldn't find a thread that answered my exact question so I will post here. I own a small business from home and have to scan contracts, etc to email from time to time. Image capture is not efficient in the least to do this kind of scanning. I tried a few other programs that scan but they basically use image capture to scan. I do not want to have to drag the corners to adjust every time I scan a page and being able to scan multiple pages into one document would be wonderful. I want to click a button and have it scan an 8.5 x 11 page rather than wait for an overview then readjust before I scan.
    Does anyone know of any software available that does this? Or is there a way to set-up image capture to do this process quicker and easier.
    Any help would be much appreciated. If there is a thread already explaining this then please attach a link to said thread.
    Thank you.

2. onedeadpirate thread starter macrumors newbie

3. garycurtis macrumors 6502

A few things can possibly work. Keep in mind I'm running a PPc G-4 and am sort of out of the tech loop, being retired. My new HP 310c All-in-One machine comes with its own scan software.

But since I don't normally want images, I prefer to have OCR software. I am running Acrobat 9 Pro and it offers users a choice of image scan or OCR. You can find these tools under the DOCUMENT pull-down menu.

Even so, the OCR hasn't been as robust as I would like. I used OmniPage OCR back in the '90s and it was much better. Few errors in perhaps a 40-page text document.

Though I don't use it, I would imagine Photoshop would be the premier image scanner. You didn't say what you were scanning.

4. garycurtis macrumors 6502

Aside from OmniPage, ReadIris is the other big name in Mac scanning software.

5. onedeadpirate thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you I will look into that software and I will try photoshop. Didn't think of that because I am scanning mainly contracts, invoices, and stuff straight to pdf so that I can e-mail and digitally file them. Thanks again for your replies. Anyone know of anything better feel free to chime in. :D

----------

Yeah. Looked into those and they do way more than I need. Very cool though. Don't need an editable document when it's done. Just something quick and easy to set-up. Image capture isn't that difficult to use just seems like I am always trying to fiddle with it trying to get what I want when I feel there should be an easier way to do it.

6. garycurtis macrumors 6502

If you don't need to edit the text, any PDF capture of your document will suffice as a digital record. Photoshop, Acrobat Pro and a few others will do a great job.

OCR is for folks who need to fiddle with the wording, spelling, etc.