Alternative to iMovie?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mildredop, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Mildredop macrumors 68020

I haven't used iMovie for a few years, but would now like to. As it's no longer automatically on Macs, I went to the App Store to download it. The reviews are awful - it gets about 1 out of 5 stars.

But is there an alternative app for a similar cost (or less)? Just to do some basic editing to then upload to You Tube.

2. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Adobe Premiere Element (Not Pro). Check with Adobe website. :apple:

3. CH12671 macrumors 6502

There is nothing wrong with iMovie. It's a great program, ESPECIALLY FOR THE PRICE. You aren't going to get professional grade video editing for free. I've made plenty of home videos (vacations, weddings, etc) using nothing but iMovie, and they were all WAY better than any free windows offering.

Granted, I bought FCPx about 2 years ago and haven't looked back....so I can't speak for the newest version. Although you have to download it separately, is it still free?

4. bakechad macrumors member

You could take a look at the video editing capabilities of Blender. It's open source and free. It has been used for some pretty serious projects like Big Buck Bunny.

I have played with Blender a little and edited some of my family videos. The learning curve for anything in Blender is similar to learning brain surgery. Complicated but rewarding.

5. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

A large number of reviews on the App Store would beg to differ:

"A really terrible and unstable program"
    "Useless for making home movies"
    "Unuseable"
    "Terrible backwards step"
    "Rubbish!"
    "This new version is useless"
    "Incredibly difficult to do even the most basic things"

And that's all just from the first page of reviews, hence my attempt to find alternatives rather than just putting up with iMovie's apparent shortcomings.

6. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

lol I've been using iMovie forever.. do you really believe reviews like that?

As someone else said - you're never going to find another video editing software in the league of iMovie - especially cheaper than iMovie.

Have you even tried using it?

7. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

everytime I've used iMovie it works flawless. very simple compared to higher caliper programs such as sony vegas and final cut.

8. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

The first sentence in my original post mentions how I havene't used iMovie for years.

I wasn't hoping to get into a tit-for-tat argument about how good iMovie is/isn't, I just wanted to know if there was an alternative.

9. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

For what it's worth then:
    All that is about the current version of iMovie, v10. It is indeed a step back compared to the previous version, v9(also known as iMovie11).

If you haven't just bought a new Mac, but have upgraded to Mavericks, you will still have the previous version in your Applications Folder. If you still do have it, then, as GSPice says: you're never going to find another video editing software in the league of iMovie - especially cheaper than iMovie.

10. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

This.

OP:
    I wasn't getting in a tit for tat - especially when the "tat" you mention in the reviews is a different version - which *again* has no bearing since you say you haven't used iMovie in years. And even *then*, Apple software titles characteristically have very polarizing reviews. If you're not willing to understand that, then you lose quite an opportunity to get to know some very good software.

11. Bear macrumors G3

If you just bought a new Mac, iMovie should be on it or it should be free from the Mac App Store.

12. GrafikFeat macrumors newbie

They Ruined iMove. It's now unusable junk.

13. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Having been playing with it for the past couple of days, it's definately not unusable. It's User Interface is not the best, I'm finding the contents of the sidebar somewhat confusing to sasy the least. However, it's ability to import AVCHD video direct has to be a major plus point.

I read comments about the limitations of the Share/Export options, but I can't see a problem. I'm still working my way through iMovie Help to learn how it all works.

I'm probably not going to ditch iMovie11 yet, as I still use a miniDV camcorder.

14. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Spoken with true objectivity, no doubt.

15. Arms19 macrumors newbie

Arms19

As are your previous comments. He's offering his opinion - just as you did before - which he is entitled to do, so I don't see why you feel the need to jump in.

OP: sadly, I personally don't have the knowledge of any software that could compete with iMovie in the price range (?) that you've mentioned. Is it free for you to download? I don't believe I have ever paid for iMovie 10.5->10.9..

The controls for iMovie from the App Store are quite obstructive and hard to get used to, but having just completed a project the other day I can say it isn't too bad to handle once you sit down and spend some time with it.

Personally, I'd suggest you go on YouTube and watch some tutorial videos for iMovie and see how you like it. I've been using it for years and while the most recent of versions did most of the ease and usability, it didn't take out the features and fact that it is still a great tool to get the job done.

Update and let us know what you chose to do. :apple:

16. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

I have looked into other programs for Mac video editing as well. There really aren't any good ones that aren't relatively expensive. iMovie is an excellent program. The new version does require quite a bit of getting used to which is why there are so many bad reviews, but I still use it.

If you would like the older version of iMovie, I'm sure you can find it online at sites like 4shared. I think it's alright to do so because, since Apple is no longer providing it, online is the only way to acquire it. Plus, it's free with new Macs, so I don't think Apple is going to be missing much of anything...

everyone can jump on me now for telling him to download an app from an outside source....

17. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I totally agree with the statement about spending time with it. The new iMovie is a powerful program and offers a new interface. A large number of negative reviews stemmed from corrupted migrated projects from the previous iMovie, as well as lack of support for some low-end Mavericks compatible Macs. The latter has been solved, but some corruption can occur when migrating. However, I started with a clean slate and was impressed by the new interface. Definitely worth a look.

18. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Been using the new iMovie since it came out in December. It is certainly different than the old iMovie. Have found it to be very usable. Actually not to bad a program to use for small projects. There have been many complaints, but most would have been solved had people read the Help.

For the cost of free, you can not go wrong. The only thing that could come close, and is actually better but will cost you, is Adobe Premiere Elements 12. I can not think of an app that is free and will do what iMovie can do.

Give it a try. You are pretty much starting fresh, so it should be easy.

19. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Sorry, but you're wrong. You know why? Because my "opinion" (as you so astutely mention) included nuance and scope. His eliminated iMovie right out (with classic name-calling, i.e., "junk"). If you don't see any difference in objectivity between those two, then you'll never "see" why I "jumped in."

Sigh.

20. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

For the OP, you may like to try this:
    https://hitfilm.com/express/free

It's free for the next couple of weeks. Haven't tried it myself, so can't vouch for it.

21. imurdaddy macrumors member

The only features that have changed from iMovie 09/11 is the slight interface change. The features remain the same. If you actually know how to use it...and have an imagination for manipulation...it remains quite a robust editing app.

22. Arms19 macrumors newbie

Arms19

I feel it sad that I need to sink lower than I should have to on a forum such as this, to respond to such blatant and utter disregard for human opinion. If his name calling of software is so offensive to you then why not take it up and PM him?

There is no objectivity from either your post or his. You subjectively give your opinion as to why you believe iMovie to be a superior program, and he counters. Whether or not his counter included any substance or not can be up for debate sure, but snide remarks are no way to go about it. At such a point you completely lose legitimacy in trying to debate at all.

You both are entitled to opinions, yours do not make his wrong and vice versa. What it all falls down to is what works for certain people, trying to dissuade him or change his opinion in such a manner only results in egg on your face.

23. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

And done.

[post for deletion]

24. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

So in the interest of getting this thread back on track, I think we can all agree that the changes to the newest version of iMovie can be somewhat polarizing. Some things are easier, and some things are different / harder / removed.

I played around with the free trial of Adobe Premiere Elements 12, and found it did a capable job, you just have to get used to the different UI.

Does anyone here use Premiere Elements frequently? What do you think of it?

How is the quality of your exported videos?

What is the file size like?

What format do you prefer exporting in?

Do you use AVCHD cameras? If so, what is your general workflow?

25. tacotester1 macrumors member

They charge for imovie now?
    when did that happen?

imovie rules for starting to learn about video editing and it was free so who can beat that?

if u r a professional and know a lot about video editing then why would u use imovie?
    you would use premiere
    or final cut

but if ur making cool videos and things for fun
    its great

my opinion