Alternative to iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kfander, Apr 7, 2012.

1. kfander macrumors newbie

kfander

Can anyone suggest a good alternative to iPhoto? As it worked when I first got my Mac, iPhoto would serve my purposes fine, except for one thing - it frequently refuses to import good photo files, ones that work fine if I simply copy them to my desktop or to any other photo application. In other words, if I am importing a collection of files from my regular camera or trail camera, it will import some, and refuse others.

I could ignore that but since the last upgrade of iPhoto, I can no longer share photos in Facebook or anywhere else directly through iPhoto, because it insists that there is "no network connection" even though there is one.

I know there is probably a workaround, but I hate workarounds. In looking for answers to the same question asked elsewhere, I've seen recommendations to create a new user account, etc. There is nothing wrong with my current user account, so I'd rather find a photo program that works without all the problems.

Yes, I know that I can simply save the photo to my desktop and upload it to Facebook from there, and do that sometimes, but that's an extra step that I'd rather not take if I could find something that would work better.

If I loved everything else about iPhoto, I could forgive a few things but I'm not overly impressed with the program as it is. Any ideas?

2. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Picasa.

Aperture.

Photoshop Elements.

These are the most common options for photo management outside of iPhoto.

3. snberk103 macrumors 603

Honestly - I don't think this is a generic iPhoto problem, but a specific problem related to your installation. You can either work around it or you can figure out and fix the underlying OS/iPhoto installation issue. This does not sound like iPhoto behaving as designed.

Luck.

4. ericDylan macrumors regular

^^ I agree. Mayhaps you should try reinstalling the iPhoto. Otherwise, Picasa is an excellent alternative that has virtually all of the features of iPhoto and should not suffer from the problems you are experiencing.

Otherwise, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom is an excellant option as well that should cover all of your needs and then some.

5. kfander, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

kfander thread starter macrumors newbie

kfander

Thanks everyone. I've tried reinstalling iPhoto. The "no connection" problem began when I upgraded to v11.

iPhoto has never done a very good job of importing photos from either my camera or my trail camera, so that problem isn't new. It tells me that the file is in a wrong format or something along those lines, although they are in .JPG format, just like the other ones that it does import, and I can use the files in any other application without trouble.

I try not to hand too much of my life over to Google but I might try Picasa, since it's free. Otherwise, I'll wait until I can afford one of the others. Thanks again.

Odd, I've been using a Mac for a couple of years now, and have a couple of them (MacBook and iMac). I love my Macs but am not impressed with their native applications. The Apple Mail application always pops up "Mail cannot verify the identify of..." and then will usually download my mail after I click OK for each of my email addresses, but too often it requires me to re-enter my passwords for each one of them and sometimes refuses them until I reboot the computer. It's not a major problem, but it's annoying.

6. ericDylan macrumors regular

I don't know of any applications that would affect both e-mail retrieval and photo imports, but it sounds like you could be installing a rogue application that is causing problems. I say this because you have uniform problems on all of your Macs.

I just find it odd that you have problems with several of apples applications on several Macs. I have an Air and iMac and a Pro--none with problems.

May be something to look into becasue I don't think any of the problems you are experiencing are general problems. It may be something specific to your machines.

Maybe you should try taking it into an apple store or mailing it in.

Good Luck