alternative to iSight??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thebrain74, Jul 20, 2007.

1. thebrain74 macrumors regular

I was wondering that since Apple has discontinued the external iSight (making eBay prices anywere from expensive to ridiculous) what people who need a web cam are using around here if they don't have an internal. I looked on the Apple site and saw the logitech webcam sold there, but it looked like it has some major audio issues with 10.4.10. I just wondering if I could get some real world feedback about what is used and works.

thanks for the help

2. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

I'm not sure about dedicated webcams, but I use just a regular firewire camcorder as the cam on my G5. Works like a champ and has much, much better quality (and zoom) than a webcam.

3. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

The eyetoy is a great camera you can make it work if you install macam. Plus you can get it cheap on eBay.

4. seany916 macrumors 6502

Agree. Use a camcorder instead. Much better video quality

5. thebrain74 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have a camcorder, nor is buying one an option as this camera is for my dad's iMac so I can iChat with him when I'm in college. So ya...no camcorder.

6. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Any UVC-compatible webcam will work with 10.4.9+.The Xbox Live cam seems to be a popular choice.

7. thebrain74 thread starter macrumors regular

2 quick questions, what is UVC and is it usually listed in the specs/packaging.
    -does the xbox live cam work without any extra software??

8. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

9. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

My gawd, that thing is ugly! Looks like something from the 80s. But hey, if it works, it works.

10. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

Any webcam certified to work with "Vista" is UVC.... and will work with OSX. However there is a bug in 10.4.10 the affects the microphone on all non-ISight cameras on Intel MACS. Apple is aware of it and hopefully will have a fix out soon.

I am using a Logitech Fusion....

11. thebrain74 thread starter macrumors regular

ya I'd heard about the audio issue, which is one of the reasons I am so wary. Does your Logitech fusion have it (assuming you arde using 10.4.10)? If it doesn't could I get the full name/model #.

thanks everyone for the help

12. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

You WILL have a disabled microphone on ANY USB UVC compliant Webcam on an INTEL MAC if you have upgraded to 10.4.10... Apple done screwed up.

The 10.4.10 upgrade does not seem to affect PPC Macs.

For Logitech webcams.... be sure the box says certified for Vista, and mentions REALLIGHT 2 [not just RealLight]

Logitech has 5 or 6 cams that meet this requirement.

The microphone not working is Apples fault, NOT the cam manufacturers

13. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

Oh and yeah the XBOX Live works right out of the box [I tried one before I bought the Logitech Fusion]

Two big problems however..
    1) there is no mounting clip.... it just has a flat base. very difficult to make it stay where you want it... impossible to mount on top of your monitor.

2) no microphone... not a non-working mic... it simply does not have one to start with.... and by the time you buy a USB mic [assuming Apple fixes the problem]... you have paid as much as buying the Fusion or something similar

[Oh... for the record... I got my Fusion at Circuit City... $100-$60 rebate, so it cost the same as the XBOX one]

14. atarigraffx macrumors member

is the fusion iChat compadible??

15. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

Yes it works with iChat.... with the 10.4.10 caveat