Alternative to iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eskimo515, Mar 17, 2010.

1. eskimo515 macrumors newbie

I noticed a post on this topic from a few years ago and thought I would try again - are there any alternatives to iTunes these days. I am super frustrated with iTunes 8 and 9, specifically due to freezing while using airtunes with my four Airport Expresses. I'm now fairly convinced I am experiencing an iTunes isolated problems and not AE problem. So if I can use something just for playback and still manage library with itunes I would be happy.

Any thoughts?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

iTunes has no problem with AirTunes in the vast majority of installations. The problem is specific to your configuration. Rather than try to find a replacement for iTunes, you'd be better off troubleshooting your situation.

3. eskimo515 thread starter macrumors newbie

I never had any problems with itunes until I started using airtunes - and I have invested 10K library with itunes over the years. And if you search the web for airtunes cutouts you will see thousands of posts about it - so either we are all having the same problem or there is something wrong.

I'm not suggesting that there couldnt be something wrong with my set up. I've only been using my mac for a short period of tim.e. I have been troubleshooting for months and adjusting my setup but I am saying I know I am not alone in having itunes/airtunes issues. It just shooting be this difficult.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Something wrong... with AirTunes. I'm assuming nothing cuts out listening on your computer's speakers or with headphones? I don't think "another solution" is going to work any better than iTunes if you insist on using AirTunes at all.

5. eskimo515 thread starter macrumors newbie

The issue is that when using airtunes itunes freezes, even if connected via headphones. There is no problem if using airfoil with internet radio so I know its itunes. I have reloaded, downgraded, and the problem remains the same. My library is on a TC and since I have a MBA I cant keep it on the computer (even though I problems when it was on my harddrive as well. My last try is to move my music to an external hard drive, but I don't have confidence that will help.

If I had the money I would just chuck all four expresses out the window and buy Sonos.

6. kid4today macrumors newbie

kid4today

i'm pretty sure i know the answer to this question already, but i'm gonna ask anyway, just incase.

is there any alternative to itunes on a mac that will connect to my airport speakers, sync iphones and ipods, and has a remote app for iphone.

feel free to laugh before you answer.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

<muffled chuckle> Um..... nope! :)