Alternative to LG 5k but same screen pop?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Drecca, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Drecca macrumors regular

I'll be away from home for 6 months, and i won't be bringing my LG 5k with me. But I'm not spending another 2k CAD $ for a screen for only a few months

Are there any equivalents out there? 4K is fine, but I'm really looking for the same colors, same pop. I find most displays to lack the "pop" the LG has. It really mirrors my MBP 15 screen in terms of color pop, so that's what I'm mainly looking for

Thanks!

2. tangfj macrumors member

Do you need a 27" plus sized monitor? I have heard good things about the LG 27UK850. It's reasonably cheap and from what I hear it is a good display. I don't have one as I have the 5K right now but am considering the 32UD99 and Samsung CJ791.

If you don't need 27" and just need a secondary display to sit aside your laptop I would actually suggest maybe a 12.9" iPad Pro and use duetdisplay to extend your screen to it.

Anyway, it would be good to understand what your use case is... that being said, for just 6 months I'd say to tough it out and save the $500+ and just use the laptop alone.

3. Rugbydman macrumors regular

Rugbydman

I’ve been for alternatives too. But there seems to be nothing at all that has speakers, webcam and able to change a 15" MacBook Pro

So it seems this is still the only apple screen replacement available

4. tangfj macrumors member

32UD99 does everything you mention above but only is missing the webcam. It's not a TB3 monitor but I just got it and I feel like it's a pretty good alternative... returned my 5K as I felt it was too pricy for what you get. Will be waiting to see what apple comes up with next but for now I'm happy with my 32UD99.

5. Rugbydman macrumors regular

Rugbydman

Hi tangfj
    So does it charge a 15" MacBook Pro

6. tangfj macrumors member

Yes it does... as far as I know most of the USB-C monitors will charge a MacBook Pro... if the monitor is listed as 85w charging then you should get full speed charging and otherwise it'll probably be 60w which may charge slower.