alternative to lightbox

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by bobalina, Jun 15, 2007.

1. bobalina macrumors newbie

bobalina

ive been using lightbox as my gallery for a year or two and have been happy.

but now i see it all over the place and it just doesnt have the same effect on me anymore

do you know of any javascript based alternatives lightbox that i could incorporate into my site?

this is an example of what it is at the moment

http://skcbc.com/archive/05/

Thanks

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Are you looking for something that behaves like Lightbox, but isn't Lightbox or are you looking for something that behaves totally differently?

If it's the latter, in what kind of effect are you interested?

3. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Lightbox and more so some of its alternatives are also customizable so that it doesn't quite look like every other site out there.

I've used a lightbox page like script to open up a page with image as I want it done instead and that's worked well for me. You can edit the how much the page dims in the JS file and in some alternatives, you can customize the CSS more. It's generally still obviously lightbox, but as least slightly different.

But overall, I'm still rather happy with lightbox.

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Are you tied to a specific JS library/toolkit? I know Lightbox is based on Prototype, but I don't know if you're using Prototype functionality outside of Lightbox or not.

Naturally, it will limit you if you're tied to a single toolkit and unable to use another.

5. bobalina thread starter macrumors newbie

bobalina

because i update the images regularly i find it painful having to write code for every image.

its also that generic look that is annoying. i might have to muck around with the css a bit more and the js to find something i want.

6. jng macrumors 65816

jng

It's just a CSS class! class=""

What I did for some more static galleries is I wrote a PHP script that grabs images from a directory and puts them in a neat little gallery with their titles - sans .jpg - as their captions. No "update" required.

Such a solution might be what you're looking for.

Re: generic look. Hardly. I find sites that still open up images in popup plain windows generic.

7. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I use GreyBox on my site and I really like it. You can use it for more than just pictures too.

8. bobalina thread starter macrumors newbie

bobalina

ive never mucked around with php scripts so id have no idea what to do about it

9. pengu macrumors 6502a

I was using Lightbox as part of a web-based application UI for work (to integrate with an inline image flipper with back/next controls), but in the end i just wrote my own. it needs a few little extra things added (better pre-loading of images, etc) but the big advantage for me was that it doesn't rely on HTML attributes, (such as rel="") so it still validates properly.

the popup stuff itself wasn't very hard to do, if you have a a little expereience (or are willing to learn) with JavaScript and classes/objects.

10. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

This is sort of off-topic, but I was looking for something. I'm using a forum software that uses Prototype and Mootools, and I want to integrate Lightbox 2 into that site. Unfortunately, that makers of the software had customized PT/MT so that it causes conflicts. Are there any options that have the same functionality, but won't conflict with other elements on my site (different effect library I suppose)?