Alternative to Mac Outlook 2011 (PIM Features)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cntwtfrmynwmbp, Jul 1, 2012.

1. cntwtfrmynwmbp macrumors member

Hi everybody,

this is my first post here. As you can see from my name, I can't wait for my new MBP 13 which is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday :)

I'm looking for an alternative to Mac Outlook 2011, especially for the "personal information manager" features. I really like in Outlook that I have calendar, notes and to-do's in one place and that I can use the same categories (f.e. work, university) for all modules.

But I don't use Outlook for e-mail and I would prefer to use LibreOffice than Word/Excel/Powerpoint. If I find an alternative to Outlook, I can pass on Mac Office.

Thanks for any suggestion.

Sorry for my English, it isn't my first language...

2. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

The Macintosh comes with all of those software features already -- Calendar, E-Mail and Notes, and they will all synchronize with an iPhone, iPad or other Macintosh computers using iCloud.

Enjoy your new Mac!

3. cntwtfrmynwmbp thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

as I'm using OS X for several years, I'm well aware of the apps that come along with it.

I should have been more clear, I'm looking for an app that has calendar, notes and to-do's integrated in one app as Outlook has.

Thanks for any help.

4. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

Sorry about that. But, with drag and drop, iCal, Address Book and Mail are no different really than using a single app for mail and calendar, in my opinion. But I'm afraid I don't know of a single integrated app that will beat the Apple suite and/or Microsoft Outlook. When you consider how many dollars those two companies spent on the development, it's easy to see why.

5. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Hold off, and see what ML brings. The Notes and Reminders will be similar to the iPad/iPhone versions. They'll sync across devices via iCloud [or Exchange if you have that setup available].

6. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Try SOHO Organizer. Not only does it have calendar and contacts in one place, but you can link them. And to notes. And, most importantly IMHO, to email.

Not only that, but it supports cardDAV and calDAV. If you're not an iCloud fan, you can use a service like Fruux instead and still have syncing of contacts and calendars (lots of stuff syncs with calendars, not so many with contacts in the cloud). And it can do this on SL, in case you might be using it on another machine.

I like it better than Outlook, which on the Mac isn't as nice as on Windows.

Rob

7. JimWPVB macrumors member

Try BusyCal

BusyCal works much better than Mail. The ability to annotate entries from the sidebar without opening them is great. Also can serve as log. Various views, including lists like a CRM. 30 day trial convinced me. Can't comment on reminders as I used GoodToDo for those.

8. cntwtfrmynwmbp thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into it.