Alternative to Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by prmccarron, Nov 14, 2009.

1. prmccarron macrumors regular

prmccarron

Hi
    I've been using Apple Mail for a while, and it works great, but it's just so... plain. I'm looking for an (open-source) alternative with no luck. I do NOT want Thunderbird because it doesn't work with what I've got. My computer's specs are below.
    So can someone either suggest an open-source alternative to Mail besides Thunderbird, or tell my how to get Hotmail to work with TB.
    Thx.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What features specifically are you looking for besides hotmail?

3. prmccarron thread starter macrumors regular

prmccarron

I want it to look nice, have all/more the features Mail has, able to work and work fast, and be able to have more than one account.
    I don't really care about Calendars or anything.

4. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Soounds like you should just stick to Apple Mail, it does all of that. :) Is there something in particular that you don't like about Apple Mail?

5. prmccarron thread starter macrumors regular

prmccarron

Well, I don't have anything against it in particular. It's just plain. And I've been using it for a while now.

6. waynechriss macrumors regular

My problem with mail is that its slow to receive and sync mail. I could easily jump on Safari to my Google page and get my mail the second someone sends it by Apple Mail takes 10-15 minutes to get the same mail.

7. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

You could try Opera. Some people like its interface (I don't).

Try the Thunderbird 3 BETA version. It's much better (and faster) than Thunderbird 2.

Personally, I have moved to Entourage. Mail couldn't handle the amount of eMails in my storage; in my experience, when you have more than 3,000 or 4,000 eMails in your mail database, Mail takes minutes to open and crawls to a halt after each email fetching. I liked Apple Mail in the beginning, but it became quickly unusable for me. I don't know how the version in Snow Leopard works, but I also no longer care.

Entourage 2008 isn't the fastest either, but it performs well enough and so far it has been stable for me.

On Windows, I'd recommend The Bat! by Ritlabs.

8. prmccarron thread starter macrumors regular

prmccarron

Postbox is amazing. Mailplane only works with Gmail, so that's out. Anyone know how to get Postbox for free?

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Short of receiving the license as a gift or begging the developers for a free license, you need to pay for it. If you're not willing to pay for what you want, then it's obviously not worth that much to you and you can stick with Mail or Thunderbird.

10. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Seriously? I have at least 20,000 messages in Mail and for most purposes it's quite snappy (takes about 8 seconds to launch, and opening my largest folder (6,000 messages) takes about a second; everything else is instant).

You might want to try rebuilding your mailboxes. Mail can move slowly or behave oddly if they're corrupted.

11. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If it's good, is it not worth paying for?

12. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Thunderbird is free and the have nice beta's builds for download.

13. prmccarron thread starter macrumors regular

prmccarron

Well excuse me, but some people's parents don't let them do that. I would buy it but I can't. So excuse me because you seem to think that everyone can.

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Well then it looks like you're out of luck until you can pay for it yourself. Stick with Mail or download Thunderbird since they're both "free."