Alternative to MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Keychain82, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Keychain82 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

during the last days I kind of reached a turning point. My Powerbook G4 is now 8 years old.. the display died a few weeks ago, the logicboard is defective in many ways and it's awfully slow. But it served many years, so I don't regret buying it at all.
    Now the task to find a new laptop became the topic of the last days. Sure enough, my first clue: look at the new MBPs. Great machines, perhaps will again last for years and even though they are expensive - they will be worth the money. But, will they? It's common, espacially here, to find users moaning about the price, the hardware and everythingelse one can imagine. They always give some examples, I saw quite a few 13" laptops by other vendors getting compared.. but let's try a different approach this time.

This is the Macbook I'd buy:

MBP 15", 2.2GHz i7
    4 GB RAM (will upgrade it myself to 8)
    128 GB SSD (will be sold and replaced by the 240 GB Vertex 3)
    HD anti-glare Screen

The price? Apple gives me around 12 percent on the whole deal if I buy the 2.3GHz option and buy it through an Apple on Campus-Store, but only less than 5% with the 2.2 GHz buying it for business. Sure, Apple on Campus is the best deal I'll get, but it still is expensive. For personal reasons I'd like to buy it over the business store, that would be nearly the same price without the better cpu.

I started to think about moving away from Apple. They are at last the same kind of mass-productioned Notebooks as those by other vendors, the quality is not that high as it used to be, imho. But as hard as I looked.. I didn't find one laptop to match the specifications. Not smaller then 14,6", not bigger than 15,6", not heavier than the macbook, more than 6 hours of battery life, at least the i7 2.2 quad, sata3, a decent trackpad (decent, not apple - there is none to compete with), at least 8 gb ram to be installed, a decent graficcard (I do not play games or use photoshop.. I only need it to drive 2 displays and play TES5 during November). I love the MagSafe adapter, and I know, the same as with the trackpad.. no chance elsewhere.. I'd have to live with it. If anybody got a businessclass machine with those specs, a decent build-quality within an acceptable pricerange.. please post it here.
    If I left out anything, feel free to ask.
    I do know, that this is a strange place for the question, but want to give it a try.

Thanks for reading and posting ;)

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Apple provides a lot of high end features that come standard. This makes the price higher.

When you get a PC and add in as an option all the features Apple provides -- often the PC is as expensive or more expensive than a MBP but with a plastic body and cheaper build quality.

3. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Depends on what your needs are really. For me, I have NO plans moving from Apple, regardless of the specs/pricing of comparable non-Mac laptops. One thing you need to remember is that OSX doesn't need as much to run, so having THE fastest, and latest processor isn't needed. Some may disagree, but it's true...

If you are set on a non-Mac, look at the business class systems from HP, DELL, and Lenovo. Usually better cases, build, and quality [IMHO] vs. the "BestBuy Sunday Specials". When you start comparing the business systems with MBP's, the pricing and specs are not far off...you'll be surprised that some are actually more.

Lastly, what's your personal investment in software, music, etc.? Is it heavily Apple? If so, make sure you include that into your decision. Again, moving away from Mac means changes there too.

4. Keychain82 thread starter macrumors newbie

barkomatic:

I do know, that I have to pay a high price in comparison to a normal user. That's okay, I do earn my money using my laptop, so it will pay off itself. The question ist: Is it possible to finde any laptop, better in the important specs I postet in the same pricerange? Or even an aedequat one for less money?

nefan65

My needs are battery life, CPU & RAM, SSD (Sata3), weight and display size & quality plus network connectivity (GbitLAN, WLAN, BlueTooth)- but thats quiet standard these days. Features like the perfekt trackpad, Magsafe, Thunderbolt and so on are really nice and may be the key, but not really necessary.
    HP sells only businessnotebooks up to 13 inch screensize, I didn't find any lenovo coming close to the MBP. Dell has one Laptop, which can be configured to nearly what I want.. but the price is merely the same: the latitude-e6520. It looks like a 450 Euro Acer or Asus, is really heavy and the batterylife.. I don't use windows, but there are no linux drivers available.

So for the record: The new computer will be running linux. i don't use photoshop, I don't record music or anything.. just plain networkadmin-stuff, some coding, simulating.. and one game ;)

5. mac8867 macrumors 6502

Hi... I am a professional software consultant, and I have burned up many many laptops over the years. I can only offer that I am not necessarily a "fan" of Apple or the OS to the point of singularity. I consider myself quite agnostic in fact. With all that said, right now, the best deal is a macbook pro. The seemlessly integrated components are beyond anything I have worked with in a long time. I do run MacOS and am heavily dependent upon virtualization - a spectacular platform that has changed the way I approach my work.

So, my advice, go with the macbook.

6. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

[citation needed]

7. Keychain82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Looon:

Why don't you just post any laptop which comes close to the mbp? I'd be happy to have a choice. This would proof that pc's can be cheaper at the same time.

mac8867

That's what it seems like, but as I told Looon: I'd like to have a choice. The OS is not a keyfactor, so it could be possible to find something. Normal businesslaptops have pros, too. The warranty for example is mostly much more expendable than apples. I don't have an apple store within 2 hours, so this is not an argument for me. I'd have to buy applecare and send it in to get a decent 3 year support.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Well, I think the Sony Vaio series of laptops are pretty decent--when you order them direct. The versions you get at Best Buy are overpriced IMO.

I don't know exactly what specs you are looking for, but try building one out here:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10151&langId=-1&catalogId=10551&categoryId=16154&N=4294966502&Name=Laptops

9. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

I ain't no fanboy. Went through the very same "quest" as the OP for my company. A dozen highly acclaimed Lenovos later and I'm starting to regret it. Windows quirks aside they are crap. Keys falling off, hinges creaking, displays failing, battery life sucks...

I was forced to stay in the PC-verse. They all could have had MBP's for the same dough. I hope the bastards are happy.

10. Keychain82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link - a good example for what I meant. I scroll down the page, look at various models and start looking at the first row.. There are only three models with quadcore-cpus. All three are above 16 inch screen size, below 5-6 hours of battery life, a 256gb ssd costs as much as 850$ extra.. not to speak about an antiglare-display or weight.. or design. If I put together a few things for comparison in the vpcf2190x (256GB SSD, 2.2GHz, 8GB RAM (just because it's actually cheaper then 4GB in this configuration) and the large capacity Battery for at least 4.5 hours (with default optimal settings)) the price is 2652$. Yes, it's got the 3d-display. Big thing.. terminal or vim in 3d? ;)

11. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Dell Latitude E6520 with 2.2GHz i7 Quad Core will cost you $2006.
    Its roughly the same spec as base 15 inch MBP

12. Keychain82 thread starter macrumors newbie

cluthz, thanks. I had a look at this specific dell as well today, and the downsides are: no support whatsoever on linux, weight, batterylife (as far as I could see)and the plastic around a damn expensive laptop ;)
    But I have to admit, that this so far is the only laptop to stand against the macbook pro. Even with the 128gb SSD the price doesn't go up that much.

13. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

14. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I know Dell doesn't support Linux, but believe me it's not really a huge problem.
    I have a friend that is IT tech on an University and they actually prefer using Dell over HP for linux, although HP has linux support.

I haven't used that model, but last generation Latitude E series was built in magnesium alloy (or something) and if you opt for the 9-cell battery you should get decent battery life (its 93w/hr).

You'll also get expresscard slot and e-sata by default.

I've used many Latitude laptops, and i think it's about as good as the MBP, although I've chosen to go with a MBP.