Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speedemonV12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Hi guys, I have a buddy of mine that has some databases that he wants me to take a look at. I have Access, but I do not want to have to boot into windows every time that i would like to look at the database. Is there a good alternative for this for Mac???

thanks!

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
Maybe you could try this OBDC driver? It allows you to connect your Mac to other databases. Others will have to confirm if it does this. I believe that if you get it, you can query that access file in Excel for OSX. It costs money though.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I don't think there really is an alternative for mac, windows don't make a version for it because of what it relies on I believe. You could try running windows in parallels for access, that's what I did when I was doing a database project. Apart from that I don't think you have many options I'm afraid.

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
Hi guys, I have a buddy of mine that has some databases that he wants me to take a look at. I have Access, but I do not want to have to boot into windows every time that i would like to look at the database. Is there a good alternative for this for Mac???

thanks!

Filemaker pro?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.