Alternative to Mighty Mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wakerider017, Jan 29, 2009.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

I hate the scroll ball on the current Mighty Mouse.

After a few months it gets clogged up and becomes unusable and I have to do a warranty claim which gets OLD.

Looking for a sleek new mouse. Any suggestions?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You flip it upside down and rub it on a piece of paper for ten seconds. Problem solved. Unless you're using it in a level 4 clean room, you're going to get dirt underneath that ball...

The Mighty Mouse rocks, and I don't mind flipping it over twice a month.

Unless you've been having chronic problems with it, in which case, I suggest something from M...

No, I can't do it. Someone else say the name of the company that makes good mice.

3. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

I recommend the Targus wireless mouse for mac. You can pick it up at best buy for $40. Its an off white color and has this clear 4 way touch scroll that works really well. No ball, no scroll wheel. the usb connecter is also tiny as hell and doesnt use any space. It doesnt even stick out of my aluminum mac keyboard.

4. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

I vote for Rocketfish Bluetooth Mouse from Best Buy. Basic mouse that is bluetooth. Works great for me and I got it on sale for $20. :)

5. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

I had that one...was decent, but I found the buttons stiff and it was horrible for simple gaming (WC3).

But then I got the Razer ProClick, which is also bluetooth. My mac recognizes the Razer almost instantly, while the Rocketfish took maybe 3 times longer to connect.

The Razer is smaller, and comes with a travel pouch so it's good if you're using it away from home.

It also comes in 4 different colours (even white if you like the mighty mouse look)...highly recommended.

6. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Lots of threads on this one. I much prefer Logitech MX Revolution. Went for that for the same reason as you're now experiencing...

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've been extremely happy with my Logitech VX Nano! No maintenance, very portable, great battery life, programmable, and the smallest USB dongle on the market!

8. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

I also have a rocketfish bluetooth mouse. It works great. I love the feel of the clicks, and the scroll wheel is 4 way. I also got mine on sale for 20$ at future shop in canada. It also looks really, really nice!

9. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Ya, I've been working with those mice for several years now and have always had a problem with that ball. Probably have returned a dozen or so already. haha

So what is that mouse your are recommending?

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I just have seen people recommending mice from that company from Redmont a fair amount of times. I personally prefer the Mighty Mouse and haven't used a non-Apple mouse for personal use ever, so I don't know anything about their offerings.

11. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I really like the scroll ball on the mighty mouse, and didn't want to pay for a new one, so once my scroll stopped working I did this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jet7488UoSE

My mighty mouse feels like new now (did this last week)

The paper trick wasn't enough for me. The problem would just keep coming back.

12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I'll admit it is a pretty mouse, but it is horrible in the performance category. The scroll ball is too small to scroll sideways with, the side buttons are way stiff, the right click HA!.

I'm in the market for a new mouse (as I really can't stand using my mighty mouse for long) so I'll be looking at what Microsoft has to offer at Best Buy tomorrow.

13. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

That trick works great, I have done it before... Except it leaves you with a mouse that looks all broken. And it is a BIG pain to do that.

14. mymacmini macrumors newbie

What to do...

I have the same problem, just push the ball really hard and roll it around a little, I took it to the apple store and that's exactly what they told me to do, takes less than 2 seconds and you don't even have to flip it. :)

15. Benchmob31 macrumors member

Benchmob31

I just got the Microsoft Arc Mouse. I really like it. Its not Bluetooth but still wireless through usb. The usb part fits perfectly hidden under my wired apple keyboard. It is very comfortable and just works very smoothly.

Here is my video review if you care to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGSd3dueGkE

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What "company from Redmont?"
    Edit: Did you mean Redmond, WA?

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I think he meant Redmond.

EDIT: yeah!

18. superwoman macrumors regular

I second the Logitech VX Nano.
    In fact, I sold my Wireless Mighty Mouse after I used the Nano.