denizkoekden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
Hello together,
I just wanted to if there are any alternatives to the OWC PCI-e SSDs? As they use a Sandforce Controller which I read often about, is not the best Controller to have on a SSD.

So I probably would spent that money on a SSD extension ( I bought my MBA 2nd Hand) but I would like to know which SSDs Typs does Apple built in to the MBA at Factory? Especially the Samsung SSDs, which Model-number to they have?

Regards,
Deniz

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
OWC doesn't make a PCI-E SSD for the MacBook Air.

You generally want the OEM Samsung drives for the Air. You can find them on eBay.

chrfr

macrumors G4
Jul 11, 2009
Hello together,
I just wanted to if there are any alternatives to the OWC PCI-e SSDs? As they use a Sandforce Controller which I read often about, is not the best Controller to have on a SSD.

Even though they look similar, the 2012 Macbook Airs do not use a PCIe SSD. That is specific to the 2013 Air.

denizkoekden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
Yes, I am from Germany so Europe fits fine. So what I am looking for are alternatives to the OWC SSDs as they use Sandforce Controllers and I read so many bad articles about them. Are they really that bad?

Yes the Connector looked to me like mini PCIe :p

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Yes, I am from Germany so Europe fits fine. So what I am looking for are alternatives to the OWC SSDs as they use Sandforce Controllers and I read so many bad articles about them. Are they really that bad?

Yes the Connector looked to me like mini PCIe :p

There really are no other choices between OEM Drives and the OWC drives. At one point Runcore announced a drive but I don't remember seeing them for sale anyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.