Alternative to Peer Guardian

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SHADO, Jan 28, 2009.

1. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Ok so I want a program like PG that doesn't **** up my internet connection. When I install PG, I can't access Google, Yahoo, and a few other big name sites, and sites take forever to load. However, I do occasionally use Vuze, and I would like an IP blocker for it. Ideally something that is not so intrusive. It's kind of ironic lol that something trying to prevent things from harming your computer is harming it itself. What would be awesome is if there is a way to block IP's built-in to Vuze. Any help would be appreciated.

2. matperk macrumors 6502

If you turn off HTTP blocking you can browse websites without issue.

3. SHADO thread starter macrumors 6502a

SHADO

But will PG still check every website I go to, thereby making web browsing slow?

4. matperk macrumors 6502

It just watches for connections to certain IP addresses, but I really don't think you'd notice any kind of slow down. I've never used PG on a machine that I've browsed the web on so I can't really help you there, sorry.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Shouldn't slow you down. Turning it off HTTP blocking means it doesn't check the web sites you go to. Usually not needed anyhow.

6. SHADO thread starter macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Ok that's good. But is there a built-in IP blocker in Vuze? Or is PG the only one...

7. GingerPrince macrumors member

There is a plugin available for vuze that blocks via a blocklist. can't remember the name but if you browse the plugins there aren't that many. It's called IP blocker or something.

8. SHADO thread starter macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Yea I had IP Blocker, but it's not supported in this version of Vuze. But, I did figure out how to filter via IP without using PG. I just downloaded the PG blocked IP's and added them in the preferences-->IP Filters of Vuze. Thanks for the replies everyone.