Alternative to textWrangler

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mcman77, Sep 8, 2012.

1. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good text editor, currently using text wrangler and like the way it works but looking for something better.

I need something that is easier on the eye (I know you can change the text color) but im use to using dreamweaver and would like something on par with that.

Don't have money to splash out for DW though this time round.

Any recommendations for good text editors?

It will be used for web development, so highlighting error syntax etc is a bonus.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you like textWrangler but want something with more functions, consider BBEdit, textWrangler's big brother. For web design Cod2 by Panic is also very good as well.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I've been tempted by sublime text. http://www.sublimetext.com like the ones maflynn suggested it's not free, but costs less than DW.

B

4. m00min macrumors 6502

For my web dev work I use MacRabbit's Espresso. It has syntax highlighting for all the major languages, for any that are missing it's easy to add your own. It's CSS X-ray tools are fantastic for front-end dev work.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I tried sublime and I didn't care for it. I'm a big ultraedit user on the pc during work so I was excited to see them develop an editor for OSX but it doesn't seem as full featured as I was expecting. Its still a good editor but I like coda better

6. mcman77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies, looks like I have to fork out some money to get something descent though.

does look nice but I thought it was freeware. Will consider it though.

wow the little demo on the homepage looks pretty handy. Does it actually function that smoothly? Looks like it would save a good amount of time.

I only code in PHP, html, css....trying to start java though. What does it support? I see it looks to be good with python.

Does it also have a ftp client (don't mind but since i'm paying)?

Very flashy and nice. But i'm not sure if its for me. I could get something more for less money.

What is xray tools? ... I just use firebug.