Alternative to the Airport Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ubuntu, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Greetings,

I'm looking for a repeater of sorts, similar to the Airport express, but just not as expensive.

The issue is that my macbook drops out randomly, sometimes it just goes through phases where it drops the connection about 20 times in 30 minutes.

The issue is that the modem-router cannot be moved as its phone line based, so I think my last option is a repeater. The Express seemed ideal as its a small, simple unit that can be plugged straight into the socket, which would be perfect for where I wish to place it - is there a cheaper alternative?

2. kolax macrumors G3

Do you have poor reception or is the MacBook just dropping the connection? Most likely an overcrowded wireless channel (i.e. all your neighbours have routers operating on the same channel) and there is plenty interference around too (such as cordless phones).

Try setting your wireless router to operate on a different channel.

3. rich.smith macrumors member

A few questions:

Do you need wireless N? or is G okay?

Do you use encryption?

Is it possible to run a cable to the new location?

I have used a Belkin router and a pair of range extenders in this manner for the last several years. Generally speaking, you have fewer problems if you use the same brand for the router and range extender, especially if you are using encryption. The Belkin setup is G only. I'm not familiar with any range extenders that support N. There are routers (such as the express) that can be used as a repeater, but once again, you'll have better luck if you stick with a single vendor.

If you can run a cable, I suggest using a router as an access point rather than a range extender. This has two big advantages (1) there are no wireless compatibility issues. Pretty much any router will do (2) you will not sacrifice speed. Range extenders suck up half of your bandwidth doing the relaying of the signal. Access points do not.

4. Ubuntu thread starter macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Okay, I will try that, thanks. :)

My macbook does drop out, but then I am at quite a distance to the router, although the issue seems to have worsened. Recently the wireless will drop for a split second (the wireless icon goes gray for literally less than a second), and thus everything disconnects.

It also drops from full range, not sure if that is normal. I shall try your suggestion, thank you.

5. Ubuntu thread starter macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Hey,

G is fine, I might see if I can get a cable long enough to reach the macbook.

Well, we have another router, but I don't know how to set it up as an access point. Its the same style of router (i.e. it requires a phone line), would I simply be using it to pick up the actual router's signal and relay it?

6. rich.smith macrumors member

If it is a combination DSL modem and router, you might not be able to use it as an access point.

I have a Belkin wireless G router that I now use as an access point connected to an Airport Extreme. Older wireless G routers can be picked up cheap.