Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jesse Smith

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2003
Planet Zeekois
Looking at the reviews on Apple.com for Time Capsule, it looks like Apple really stinks at making back-up hard drives. What would be a good Alternative?

1. Being able to use Airport to back up and not have to plug it in to the iMac would be a *big* plus.
2. It doesn't have to have automatic back-ups. Just backing up when I make it back-up would be fine.
3. 1 TB Hard Drive.

So far I've looked at G-Tech G-Drive Q 1TB, Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 Hard Drive - 1TB, and the LaCie 1TB d2 Quadra Hard Disk, though I don't see 'Airport' in the descriptions/Features.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Looking at the reviews on Apple.com for Time Capsule, it looks like Apple really stinks at making back-up hard drives. What would be a good Alternative?

1. Being able to use Airport to back up and not have to plug it in to the iMac would be a *big* plus.
2. It doesn't have to have automatic back-ups. Just backing up when I make it back-up would be fine.
3. 1 TB Hard Drive.

So far I've looked at G-Tech G-Drive Q 1TB, Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 Hard Drive - 1TB, and the LaCie 1TB d2 Quadra Hard Disk, though I don't see 'Airport' in the descriptions/Features.

Look into the WD MyBooks, I think the World Edition has Airport support. Those drives that you listed wont do much as they are Windows based.

Jesse Smith

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2003
Planet Zeekois
Those drives that you listed wont do much as they are Windows based.

Not two of them. Obviously Apple wouldn't sell them if they only worked for Windows...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TP490ZM/A?cid=AOS-US-SHOP-NexTag G-Tech G-Drive Q 1TB
http://store.apple.com/us/product/TR727ZM/A?cid=AOS-US-SHOP-NexTag LaCie 1TB d2 Quadra Hard Disk

Eeny, meeny, miny moe,
Catch a tiger by the toe.
If he hollers make him pay,
Fifty dollars every day.
My iMac says
To pick the very best one...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.