Alternative to Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Barney63, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

What alternatives are there to a Time Capsule?
    I want something that is compatible with Time Machine.
    Preferably just an enclosure that I can put my 3.5" 3TB HDD in. Also would like it to be Gigabit Ethernet.
    If I have to buy something already loaded with a drive so be it.
    Note I'm in the UK so UK sources would be preferred.
    I do have a 2nd gen TC but the power supply has let the grey smoke out so I don't want another 'old' one.

Barney

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Alternatives to which parts of Time Capsule: ethernet switch, USB port, HD for backups?

Not sure if anyone makes a competing product that is a 100% replacement for Time Capsule.

Suggestion...get a new or refurbed 3TB Time Capsule and use the current 3TB disk in an enclosure (USB3 or TB) for libraries (movies, music, photos..etc.) Make sure Time Machine includes the external drive in its backups written to the Time Capsule

3. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

New AirPort Extreme (the tall one) is compatible with Time Machine. You can plug in ext. drive to the usb port and back up.

4. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I'm just looking for the HDD Backup side of things.
    I can connect it to my modem/router via GB Ethernet.
    I want a 'one box' solution, I don't want an AirPort and then have to connect an external HDD to it.

Barney

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What you are describing is a network attached storage (NAS) device. If you just want simple Time Machine backup, something like this WD MyBook Live would work.

If you want a more full featured NAS (and more expensive) device, there are NAS solutions available from companies like Synology and QNAP.

6. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Beside the locally attached drive, there are currently no third party devices approved by Apple for time machine. There are many that advertise compatibility and many here use them without issue, but I'm not that trusting. You can use just about any third party device, NAS, or whatever backup box with something like the Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) app and it would be safer.

If you want something guaranteed to be Time Machine compatible you can choose any Time Capsule (the current model is much better than the older ones), a current model airport extreme with any USB drive attached, any Mac running OSX sever (a $30 app). Many here use a used or refurb mini for this.