Alternative to time capsule?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Draythor, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

Is there a HD that I can hook up to a router that will allow me to use it in the same way as a time machine? I don't need 1TB of space or a massive hole in my wallet!

2. jdechko macrumors 68040

I suppose you could use any Network attached storage (NAS) device, external drive with ethernet, or router that allows you to hook up a Hard drive to it.

Unfortunately, none of these drives are officially supported with time machine. But you can enable it by following these directions:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/10/how-to-enable-time-machine-on-unsupported-volumes/

(directions are in thousands of places, engadget was the first one I came across).

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I think most NAS drives are going to be on the large side, so 1 Tb really isn't all that big. They'll probably also cost $300-400.

4. dandaman2 macrumors regular

I'm very unhappy with my time capsule. I have a 500GB, which I got the week it came out, and I'm using three computers with it (and have to set up a fourth) for my whole family. I'm a bit unhappy with it. I'm considering wiping the thing, getting a Airport Extreme, and hooking up at least one HD to it, and do backups with CarbonCopy Cloner. The time machine technology can't handle the load of four different computers, and I need to upgrade the HD which I can't do since it's built in and Apple does NOT make it easy. I think you should do a simple NAS set up and use carbon copy.

5. mahen macrumors member

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

This is encouraging. A couple of years ago Netgear made a similar box which was NOT Mac compatible. It relied on proprietary software for connection and configuration and only ran under Windows.

7. mahen macrumors member

Maybe you are right. ReadyNAS used to be a product of Infrant Technologies Inc. which Netgear acquired in mid 2007. I was so tempted to purchase this based on the ratings in Amazon, but since I own a TC I ended up buying Drobo for my backup and storage needs.

8. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised no one mentioned this.
    Airport Extreme + USB HDD
    Works almost the same as Time Capsule, plus it's more upgradeable. I'm using it right now.

9. akutad macrumors regular

akutad

+1, hook up a USB hub and run as many HDD as you wish. I have two hooked up to my Airport extreme. A 350 GB for time machine and a Western Digital My Book 750GB mirrored for my movies, programs and junk.

When I upgrade my 250GB laptop drive, I'll buy an enclosure and add that to my Airport extreme.

10. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

+2!!

11. DSG macrumors regular

What I use too. While it is a good solution I would canvass around to find a proven HD to use. I use a WD drive and, while it works, it frequently causes Time Machine to return errors that spoil the experience a little. No reason why it shouldn't work fine with the right drive though.

12. qwerta321 macrumors newbie

13. safelder macrumors member

I use a Synology NAS that has, if not official, at least built-in Time Machine support.

14. qwerta321 macrumors newbie

Hi, is it wireless? If so, do you have a link to the one you have please? Thanks.

15. Transporteur macrumors 68030

The Airport Express base station does not support hard drives on it's USB port.

16. safelder macrumors member

It's not wireless, so I have it wired (via ethernet cable) to the wireless router that I got from Verizon as part of my FiOS hookup. This is the one I bought: http://www.synology.com/us/products/DS109/index.php.

It works great. I've used it to set up an itunes network share (not as elegant as home share, since I can't copy files from computer to computer) that also functions for Internet streaming, and Synology also has an iPhone/iPod Touch app that allows you to stream to that device (you'll need to do some tweaking to make the streaming functions work, mainly related to static vs. dynamic dns).

17. Ava's Meeshee macrumors member

There are plenty of 500GB refurbs (dual band) at apple.com for only $209

18. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

Glad I saw this...always assumed it could. Looks like airport extremes are around $120 used on that one auction site, and $130 in the refurb store.

19. waffles123 macrumors regular