Alternative to Toast 9 for mp3 CD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by elvtnedge, Jul 24, 2008.

1. elvtnedge macrumors regular

Last night I tried to burn an mp3 CD 3 times and got a medium error towards the write out part of the disc. I even tried creating an image and that worked but its the burn part. I know it sounds like a disc problem but I have used this batch before and it works. I tried to look up the problem on roxio's site but people say to try a disc cleaner as its a hardware problem.

I have a mac mini by the way.

Just wondering if there was an alternative program to toast to try to see if I get the same error or if it burns fine. Problem is everything I search for I get links to old programs.

any advice?

2. bartelby macrumors Core

3. elvtnedge thread starter macrumors regular

The reason I was using toast was because I'm trying to make a discography CD of a band so that I have like 13 albums on one CD. With Toast I just select the itunes/library album name folder and add that to the CD. So essentialy I have 13 folders with lets say 12 songs in each folder and its organized. Then in my car I can either jump songs or I can jump to the folder (album name) and then play the tracks.

Does that make sense or did I confuse you?

I believe with itunes it would just take all the mp3s and scramble them up.

with that said I wish there was a way to put the folders in the order that I want rather than alphabetical but that doesnt work.

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Yeah, I've used iTunes many times to make MP3 CD's for my car

5. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I use iTunes. Seems to work great and I can't remember the last time it ever crashed on me.

Over the last year I found myself slimming down my apps directory. I still have Toast but I found myself removing a ton of software that I hadn't used much. Much of it was free.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

Use iTunes. Put all the tracks you want inside of an "album" and then select "MP3" as the disc format and then burn the disk from inside iTunes.

My bet is you have a hardware problem. That fact that "It worked before" only tells you that is was broken then. "worked before" tells yu nothing about now. All broken hardware worked before it broke.

7. elvtnedge thread starter macrumors regular

but can you group the songs from an album into a folder? Would creating 13 playlists and then importing 1 by 1 work and split the tracks like I need them to be?

8. ionlygreat macrumors member

you could try out Disco (http://www.discoapp.com/) ...it costs some money to buy, but you can download the trial version which gives you 7 free burns
    that way, you can see if the problem was with roxio or with something else

9. elvtnedge thread starter macrumors regular

I guess this was posted just after I started my post.

I can try this, but when you say create album do you mean playlist? I could make 13 playlists (albums) but can I burn them all to one mp3 Cd?

10. elvtnedge thread starter macrumors regular

I'll try that tonight, but Im going to get a CD/DVD cleaner and run it once on the mac and see. It's good to have around the house anyways.