Alternative to Truecrypt??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by KaptKirk, Jul 26, 2011.

1. KaptKirk macrumors newbie

I just recently tried to install Truecrypt, which is by far my favorite HD encryption program. Unfortunately they only have a 32-bit version available, so my 2011 MBA with Lion can't run it.

Is there any way to work around this? If not I was wondering if anyone has any good alternative programs to Truecrypt?? Preferably open-source with AES-256 encryption. This is my first mac and true crypt is a must for me so any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Lion has built-in disk encryption. Until the third-party solutions update their products, you're pretty much limited to the native solution.

3. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

The new version of File-Vault with its full disk encryption XTS-
    AES 128 (or creating your own encrypted disk image) although are not open source (is that your objection?) are no less secure (or more) than other available options.

4. iBunny macrumors 65816

I also love truecrypt... to me its the only option

I have not tried to load it on Lion yet. Are you saying that it does not run at all? Lion, while 64-bit should beable to run 32-bit applications just fine.

5. KaptKirk thread starter macrumors newbie

Truecrypt will not run on Lion for me at all. I am using file vault right now, but I like how your encrypted drives/files are unseeable by anyone using your computer unless they know how to mount it, and know your password in truevrypt. Other people use my MBA occasionally, and I have sensitive info that I do not want anyone seeing.

As of right now I am just using Disappear to hide the files, but I would like a more secure solution if it is at all possible.

Anyone ever heard of a Truecrypt Fix for the 64-bit version of 10.7?

6. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

Here is a guide on how to install TrueCrypt on Lion.

7. KaptKirk thread starter macrumors newbie

8. toxic macrumors 68000

to be clear, 64 vs 32-bit doesn't matter. OS X is not Windows. the problem is that Truecrypt (or application x) hasn't been updated to run properly on 10.7.

9. chillvisio, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

chillvisio macrumors member

chillvisio

I wouldn't be changing a more secure and open source piece of encryption software like Truecrypt for an obscure closed source solution like FileVault2. It is still more easy for me to trust some open source project instead of unknown level of security application created from a software/hardware giand that should be cooperating well with intelligence services of the USA and abroad.

Btw here is a newer version of MacFUSE: http://osxfuse.github.com/releases/OSXFUSE-2.3.dmg even newer than in the above link which fixes the issue with iOS Lion.

10. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Truecrypt is nice but I like the auto-resizing of OSX encrypted sparse bundles. If Truecrypt volumes were auto-resizable, I would prefer Truecrypt.

In Windows, Truecrypt is capable of encrypt the entire hard disk. If Mac version had a similar feature, I would prefer Truecrypt since it's open source in opposite of Lion's full system encryption.