Alternative to Tweetie (a twitter client that doesn't drain battery life)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LincolnsiPod, May 9, 2010.

1. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502a

After discovering that the Tweetie app I use turns on the discrete GPU, I've been looking at alternatives to maximize battery life. A lot of twitter clients use Adobe Air, which also seems to get a bad rep, but is that because it drains battery life too, or because it's just buggy otherwise? So far I've been using twhirl without any obvious issues, and I'm testing out the battery usage with that running. I have to admit, I didn't notice any significant battery drain when Tweetie was running, so maybe I'm just overreacting here. If I remember right I got a little over 6 hours, and installed Tweetie about two hours after I turned my MacBook on then. I'd actually prefer twhirl since I use that on the desktop and I'm just used to it, but not if Adobe Air is going to cause problems on my shiny new MacBook. :p

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The latest beta of Adium (1.4something) has Twitter support.

3. BrianMR macrumors regular

BrianMR

I switched back to Twitterific from Tweetie for this problem. I'm hoping an update to Tweetie or Apple changes the situation because I do prefer Tweetie.

4. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Yeah, there's absolutely no reason to use the 330M card for Tweetie. I've also switched back to Twitterific until there's a fix for Tweetie.

5. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah really, a Twitter client needing massive GPU performance? I used the gpxCardStatus to force it back to Intel and didn't notice performance deterioration so I definitely don't think it's needed. I'll give Adium a try but I tend to prefer using Twitter separately from IM.

6. etceteraism macrumors member

Hootsuite is a great web-based client (you can use Fluid.app to keep it in the dock if you so choose). It allows you to categorize your tweets, view your statistics, and it has a built in URL shortener (ow.ly).

7. matttung macrumors member

I've been Twitterific-ing since the very start -

Tweetie was never the right client for me ;X
    - until it has menubar support, at least...