Alternative to video app

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by 2010mini, Mar 2, 2014.

1. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Hello all,

Is there any apps that can play iTunes DRM movies for iPad? I have movies I purchased from iTunes on a portable drive. My goal is to use a wifi adapter like iUSBPORT to access them while on a road trip for my kid. I know the stock video app only works via homesharing which is not possible in my car.

TIA

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

As far as I know, no, the only App that can handle DRM is the default app.

3. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Indeed. No way of playing back DRM'ed stuff in anything else, not even if you JB.

4. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

Even though it will be played on a device that is already authorized on my iTunes account? that's disappointing....... guess its time to look for a good DRM removal tool.:(

5. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

It'll be pretty complicated if not downright impossible. The best is not purchasing movies from the iTunes Store but getting the original Blu-ray discs and grabbing them. I do this myself.

6. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah but then I will have to purchase a USB blu ray player, the movie I want. Then burn it to mkv and to mp4/mv4. Lots of work...... *sigh*

Hollywood really needs to stop making it so hard for honest people to use their product.

7. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Yup, but
    - it delivers better audio and video IQ,
    - extras are playable under iOS
    - it can be played on anything
    - generally, they aren't (much) more expensive than iTunes Store digital downloads - sometimes, they're even cheaper
    - they're physical goods and can be re-ripped any number of times - not "fragile" downloads prone to just disappearing.

These are the main reasons I only purchase Blu-ray discs and do the ripping / recompression myself and don't bother with Apple's DRM'ed cr@p.

8. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

I understand about DRM, but to be fair, DRM is because of Hollywood.... Not Apple.

I just thought I wouldn't have to resort to ripping. As I already have the movies I want.

So it's back to finding a good DRM removal software.

9. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

This solution might not be the best, since you already have your own portable drive, but it's proof that some mfrs have solved the DRM problem. The SanDisk Media Player I recently bought at least says its accompanying app can play iTunes DRMed videos. I haven't tested it -- I'm in the "buy and rip your own" camp. Still, you'd be tied to the very rudimentary player that comes with the device.

10. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks. I read up on this and it seems it uses Safari to play DRM video content. Seagate Wireless also says on their page you can stream iTunes DRM'd content stored on their device.